Wading boots?

fishosopher

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of wading boots. But it's more confusing than I would have expected.

I'm in my mid-60's, so traction and stability are my primary concerns, i.e., I don't want to fall down any more often than I have to.

Apparently felt is out, although many experienced fisherpeople are sticking with it. The new Simm's Vibram soles are getting a lot of PR, but how good are they?

Looking at Simms, the BOA shoes are attractive because of easy in-and-out, but I'm told they're heavy! The guide shoes ($199.99) have a following because of the ankle support.

And if you do go with the Simms Vibram soles, you have a choice of 3 different cleats: hardbite star cleats, alumnium star cleats, and reg studs. These may me used in combination.

There are no ff stores here where I can try these out. So I relying on y'all for information. Thanks!

Vans

Reaction score
Personally, i dont see how anyone would want any other type than Korkers with the changable sole. I have last years model and it is a bit different. The sole insert is a bit narrower but still works great.

You get to choose the sole you want for the different traction needs. I have worn the felt, rubber and metal studded. All left me feeling sure footed.
Fishing Wading Boot | Chrome | Korkers

The BOA lace system is great. Easy in, easy out and always a nice snug fit. I have been tempted to get the new model boot but my current ones are still in great shape.

jcw355

Reaction score
I have starbite cleats and studs on the G4's. They are heavy but I don't walk miles upon miles. I really like them and expect they will last quite awhile, well built.

Rob11

Reaction score
Agree with the Korkers recommendation. I bought a pair of Chromes and they are light and easy for wading and hiking. The main highlight is the ability to change sole type very quickly. The variety of soles includes kling-on rubber soles, kling-on rubber soles with studs, felt soles, felt soles with studs, and a larger studded rubber sole. The boots go from $179 (2 pair of soles - kling-on & felt) to $199 (2 pair of soles - kling-on & kling-on with studs) depending on the soles packaged with the boots.

The soles sold separately are around $25. This is a good thing, as it's easy to pack an extra pair for hiking to your fishing spot with the kling-ons (vibram type sticky rubber) and then change to the studded soles later. Or, before jumping into a boat, remove the studded soles and use the non-studded. With the felt, you can use them at your discretion. I'm still not sure I'll ever be completely comfortable without felt, and the Korkers enable you to continue to use felt where legal.

The boots are comfortable and light with the quick change BOA lacing system. The say size is true, but I sized up a whole size, and they fit right.

Here's a link from another thread in this forum with additional information about the same topic:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...24041-any-recommendations-non-felt-boots.html

Tracker12

Reaction score
After the felt ban here in MD I bought a pair of Orvis River Guard boots. I have to say that I do not miss my felts in the least and would not go back to them if I could. These boots are fantastic. They are comfortsble as wading boots go and the stability is very good. Plus yopu can not beat the warranty on Orvis products.

TAT

Reaction score
Getting Korkers myself based on the ability to change out soles. Probably go with the Redsides though. While the lacing system on the Chromes is no doubt convenient, I prefer the simplicity of traditional laces. I can keep extra laces in the bottom of the vest. Not too sure what I would do if the Chromes malfunctioned.

Also, invest in a good wading staff. Worth their weight in gold for us more mature guys.

deerslayer

Reaction score
Just like Tracker I too got to expierience the felt ban here in Maryland. I went with the Ultralight II Lug sole from Cabela's. They are fantastic. I would never go back to felt. The sole is very thick. The shoes are light. I used the supplied studs and no slips so far. Very supportive shoe and very well made upper. I was sceptical but they proved me wrong. You can't beat the price at $59.95. I caught mine on sale @ $49.99. I'm sorry but, I can't see paying the money for the name. Does the product do the job I want it to do. That's what I look at. Good Luck deciding.!

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
If you're in your 60's, you probably have a bad back from time to time, and the Korkers' BOA lacing system is a real help with a bad or stiff back. I've had two pair, the first generation and then the second generation which I got with the BOA system (think it was the Guide model). The current third generation - Chrome et al - does purport to have an easier sole-changing operation, and that would be a plus, since the earlier generations were in my experience difficult to do without removing the boots. Anyone here have experience with the Chromes and earlier generations that can opine on whether the Chrome soles are easier-changing than earlier models?

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
The soles on the latest generation of Korkers are so much easier to change than the previous ones. It is a tool-less design. I have changed soles with the boots on my feet. After yanking off one sole, simply insert the front of the sole into its slot, hook the locking strap up, and press the sole into place or stand on it. It's locked solid.

I also work in the ski and snowboard industry during the winter months. The BOA system has been around at least six years if not longer. The failure rate is less than one percent. Since the BOA has been released I have only seen two boots fail. Usually the cause is user error. The lace system is stressed from the user from trying to pull all the excess cable from a too large boot.

One thing that Korkers did for this year is make the retrieval gear larger, so it takes less turns to take in cable.

Dennis

crittergetter

Reaction score
Korker Fan here... (sorry Alligator :p )

I have a pair of shoes. Lighter than the boots and only once a two years did I feel I needed better ancle support. If you are rock hopping and feel you need the ancle supports the get the boots. My wife has the open toe korkers for even less weight. She loves them. She doesn't wade up and down streams much anymore so the light weight of open toes has her hooked.

I use Felt with Studs and switch to rubber sole when I hike in. She has pure felt.

Thats was my two bits...

Crittergetter

db cooper

Reaction score
Another korkers guy here! I went with the redsides as i have seen the knobs break off. I like to keep it simple. Awsome boots...if i were you i wouldnt even look at the simms boots...

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
OK, we have Korkers fans. But any feedback on the Simms models?
I just gave a few selling points about the Korkers. I'm actually still using studded felt and unstudded felt soled Patagonia boots. Until California outlaws them, I won't give up my felts. Currently combating aquatic invasive species like Didymo and New Zealand Mudsnails is not high on the state's priority list.

As for Simms boots. I tested a pair of Freestone Streamtread boots when they were first released. The regional Simms rep at the time had demo boots for industry people. When wading through small to medium gravel like substrate, slipping was not an issue. When wading through smaller freestone substrate, the soles still held. When the substrate got larger, slippage started to happen. My plain felt soles would had held.

With the addition of the first generation of carbide studs (not the Star Cleats), the grip improved, but not to the point where my confidence level would be there to cross a 100 yard stretch in knee deep water with a moderate current.

To be fair, I have not tried the other soles from the other manufacturers.

Dennis

thenextlevel

Reaction score
I picked up the Orvis Ultralight Riverguard boots with the studded soles and couldn't be happier. Traction is great and they are comfortable! I haven't tried the Korkers, but I am sure they are great as well

pie314

Reaction score
Alligator,

Theres a fly shop in blaine called the fly angler/ thorne bros. They have a really nice shop and they carry simms and korkers i believe.

ezamora

Reaction score
i just bought a pair of simms headwaters wading boots with the new vibram rubber soles and fished them once in a sierra river last week, without the use of studs. my original thought was for the riversheds but i couldn't justify the added cost. i was amazed how well they gripped. and they fit my feet well too, much nicer than my orvis henrys fork II felt soled boots. they LOOK beefy. they also really seemed to offer much better support for my ankles too. and it was really nice WALKING down needle and leaf-covered banks instead of sliding as i would have with my felts.

understand, the river rock i was walking on was broken granite or small to medium sized boulders, free of algae this time of the year but i did drag my boots on smooth underwater rock and they were impossible to slide. besides a web belt and a retractor, it was my first purchase of anything from simms.

i might try adding studs later depending on how traction holds up during the year. i don't usually fish our tailwaters where bowling ball rocks with algae are found, a place where studs would probably be required. my fly shop guy said the star cleats are $39 and he should be getting the newer aluminum ones soon. i asked the difference, he replied mainly softer metal and $10 cheaper.

eric
fresno, ca.

chuck s

Reaction score
My thoughts on Wading and boots?

I've been watching this topics and similar ones in the forums now for a couple of years and thought I'd add some input that I've gleaned from the internet coupled with my experiences on the water and working fly shops.:cool: First let me ask a question as thus far I've not seen anything that really solves the problem of drift boats and cleats!:eek: How do you handle this problem? :confused: Have you seen any really good solutions other than adding some really tough floor covering or removing cleated boots prior to getting back in? Of course the strap on Korkers are an option but just brainstorming I've tought about coming up with some velcro attached cleat covers also.:icon_idea Any ideas?

Here's a list of great input links on this subject one of which is very appropo and from this forum last year:

My Wading Boot Blues - None of the wading boots I owned fit my bill for a perfect pair of wading boots - Global FlyFisher super wading boot article and the pros and cons of various boots plus boots in general.

Felt soles - Global FlyFisher replacing soles by the same author! Another great one!

How to Make Cleated Sole Wading Boots | eHow.com Quicky how to on installing DIY studs in inexpensive boots.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7151-strap-cleats.html great forum string from the folks who know!

From all I've read and know I've concluded that the wading boot sole problems are in flux and will be for some time.:confused: Given that and the rapidly changing state of the art, I've decided to stick with what I have for the time being, an old pair of felt soled boots, while supplementing that with some DIY and very low cost hiking boots from the sale rack at a discount store with added cleats/stove bolts as per the DIY article above. :icon_conf (I first heard about doing this from a customer who was on a limited budget and could not aford the Weinbrenners, Danners and Simms that we sold) He indicated that he'd go through a pair of the DIY boots every few months but at an overall cost of under $20 plus an hour of his time, it was really worth it as even the best boots just didn't last that well. (see the articles above from global)

:icon_ideaI'm thinking seriously about picking up a pair of the Korker strap on cleated Sandals and will wear these over inexpensive boots when there's a bit of hiking involved or when fishing in and out of a boat. One other solution I've tried which works somewhat is a pair of velcro strap secured, wading boots, I found a few years back. These are off and on in a flash and so makes a pretty good boat boot but alas they are felt soled so I suppose I cold remove the cleated felts and add cleated rubber to them. :rolleyes: Last let's not forget the marriage made in heaven or using a wading staff along with the best traction you an afford or find!:bowdown:

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Re: My thoughts on Wading and boots?

. . . thus far I've not seen anything that really solves the problem of drift boats and cleats. How do you handle this problem? Have you seen any really good solutions other than adding some really tough floor covering or removing cleated boots prior to getting back in? Of course the strap on Korkers are an option but . . .
I'm thinking seriously about picking up a pair of the Korker strap on cleated Sandals and will wear these over inexpensive boots when there's a bit of hiking involved or when fishing in and out of a boat. . .
With respect, I think you're overly complicating your life. The simple (& elegant) solution is to buy a pair of Korkers - not the strap-on sandals you're considering, but a pair of their boots with interchangeable soles. They come in all price ranges, and are quite reasonable considering the non-interchangeable sole competition. With those, you merely remove the interchangeable cleated soles you're using and replace them with a boat-friendly interchangeable sole. In fact, I believe Korkers makes an interchangeable sole specifically for boats. I understand the latest model doesn't even require a tool and taking off the boot to replace the sole.

chuck s

Reaction score
Fly2Fish, I'm a firm believer that the more thinking, planning, etc one put into a sport the more one get from it so for me this is just part of the enjoyment. :) Here the weather is still marginal at best and I've loads of time for forum checking and posting so for me this isn't complicated but rather fun. I have seen those Korkers you mention and do think that they are on the right track but for my tastes they look a tad clunky, a smidge inelegant and sort of prototypish at this stage of the game. I'm betting that either Korker or another wading boot manufacturer will soon have something out there that solves problems and is a bit more functional without all the klunk factor.:cool: In fact, rereading your reply, perhaps they've, Korkers, have already improved the boot over the model I saw awhile back. I do think that Korker and the quick off and on soles will be the future!

Rob11

Reaction score
Fly2Fish, I'm a firm believer that the more thinking, planning, etc one put into a sport the more one get from it so for me this is just part of the enjoyment. :) Here the weather is still marginal at best and I've loads of time for forum checking and posting so for me this isn't complicated but rather fun. I have seen those Korkers you mention and do think that they are on the right track but for my tastes they look a tad clunky, a smidge inelegant and sort of prototypish at this stage of the game. I'm betting that either Korker or another wading boot manufacturer will soon have something out there that solves problems and is a bit more functional without all the klunk factor.:cool: In fact, rereading your reply, perhaps they've, Korkers, have already improved the boot over the model I saw awhile back. I do think that Korker and the quick off and on soles will be the future!
Klunk, that's what I thought before I got my hands on a pair. You might want to try on a pair of Korkers, as the Chromes I'm wearing are very light. They're built with a reinforced (welded) toe, and while they're light and maneuverable, they really do well when exposed to a beating that would damage less sturdy boots. For certain, other manufacturers will come up with good boots as well. Just a matter of time.