WXNW '10 (Hill Country trip report)

BigCliff

Reaction score
Well the cool kids in these parts are all atwitter over the hip goings on up the road at SXSW.

They can have it. I'll go enjoy a gorgeous river w/nw of town.

Grabbed breakfast on the way: Chilaquiles, Machacado, y Horchata. Wonderful accoutrements of South Texas.

Headed out to utilize a beautiful day-

Had a nice short drive to the river, and was able to sight cast to some bass within 20 minutes of getting my feet wet. I'm a fan of ALL that. Caught a few, some weren't interested. So it goes with super clear water and cool temps for these guys.

Saw the biggest gar I've ever seen in a Hill Country river. This thing was easily 50" long and 10" in diameter. (The local norm is more like 28" and 5")

That section got a little crowded with yokels, so I went back above the crossing.

Purdy crick indeed-

Kept catching 10" bass. This photo technique doesn't turn out so good-

This one almost did-

Kept on moving up into this canyon, (mo pretty than fishful)

Where some texican alpinists left some gear-

Finally got the first sunfish for the day. (very odd for this river) This guy absolutely glowed in the sun, pic does no justice-

Worked my way back down to the car, and picked up at least as many fish in the last hour as I did prior to that. I think I caught about 20, only 3 were sunfish, and I got to sight-cast to most of them. That's pure fun, even if you don't break 12".

New rod works on the green troots too (review pending)-

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cliff, that is a great report. That is awful clear water for Texas unless it is a tail water. At least compared to the rivers I saw when I was there.

Frank

BigCliff

Reaction score
Great report and pics Big,the canyon area is beautiful...surprising it's not very fishful:rolleyes:
The water in there was a little too fast to hold too many that day. Under normal conditions its likely prime, especially when its hot and the feesh need some shade.

Thanks Cliff, that is a great report. That is awful clear water for Texas unless it is a tail water. At least compared to the rivers I saw when I was there.

Frank
Glad you enjoyed it.

That river tends to stay fairly clear, but the conditions on that day made it even moreso: most algae died off after a colder than usual winter, recent near-flooding washed out lots of accumulated crud, and the river had been slowly dropping over the past 3 weeks to let it settle down even more. Its rained since then and likely has muddied back up a bit. When more stagnant and warm in the summer it looks more like this- http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/lower-mid-u-s/5666-gray-day-medina.html

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
BigCliff: Enjoyed reading your trip report as always! Some great photos to boot! I just watched Trout Bum Diaries, Vol II, New Zealand, and that stream with it's crystal clear water reminded me of the rivers in New Zealand.

Larry