Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What a Sick Sick World...

Default What a Sick Sick World...

I had no idea that it was this far out of control.

Metz Saddle hackle grizzly #1 microbarb hair extensions | eBay

I'm considering trading my grizzly saddles for a new Z Axis...or a drift boat!

Default Re: What a Sick Sick World...

Tempted to pull my stash and put it on the Bay...

Dan

It is a sick situation. I've been trying to up get some good saddles for tying. I've been talking with suppliers all the way to the top farms. At some point during each conversation I say; "did I pick the worst time in the world to buy saddles". Once assured that I'm a tyer they seem pleased.
    PS: just saw my first lady with hackle in her hair. It didn't look very classy, but I know where it came from so......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    It is a sick situation. I've been trying to up get some good saddles for tying. I've been talking with suppliers all the way to the top farms. At some point during each conversation I say; "did I pick the worst time in the world to buy saddles". Once assured that I'm a tyer they seem pleased.
    PS: just saw my first lady with hackle in her hair. It didn't look very classy, but I know where it came from so......
    I have yet to see it except on the television. I don't get out much and I'm proud of it.

Just did the math on that $405 saddle...these people are paying 2-3 dollars per feather??? How are you supposed to make flies with feathers that cost that much? It seems like the sky is the limit when there is a run on something. Glad I got stocked up on everything I needed for tying in the last couple years.

I was just at Lunker's in Edwardsburg, MI. this past weekend and they told me they've sold over $1000 in one week to hair stylists just buying hackle for hair.... It's crazy. There was a girl in there while I was buying flies looking for hackle and the man asked if he could help and she said yes, and he asked "hairstylist" without missing a beat.

I believe there is an article in the current "American Angler" mag. about this.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Read a post last week where the feather suppliers (the big names) are putting their foot down and doing a "No Mas" to this bit (supplying the feathers).

Would appear the kick back from fly shops, material users, et. al. has been more than a bit 'sharp' to say the least
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Read a post last week where the feather suppliers (the big names) are putting their foot down and doing a "No Mas" to this bit (supplying the feathers).

Would appear the kick back from fly shops, material users, et. al. has been more than a bit 'sharp' to say the least
    Not sure what you mean by them "Putting their foot down"? They are not supplying because they have none left; or not supplying for some other reason?

Blog Entries

Fred: I sure hope that is true! $405 for a saddle will put the fly tiers out of the ability to buy feathers. Hopefully, the fad will fade quickly!

Larry
    Larry

That's good.
    I've heard some say that they won't do business with opportunists out to make an inflated buck from what is most likely a passing fad. Hope that it's a short lived fad. It will be interesting to see how they act when they look around and their only customers are fly tyers.
    PS: Be sure to tell the girls the rooster feathers get washed

I wonder what the alternatives are to saddle hackle; for fly tyers, that is..............?

Pocono

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast