Easy Conversion To Rubber

FlyBum

Reaction score
I've been wanting to switch to a rubber net for some time. I really like the Brodin Ghost nets, but not the price. For some time I've been scouring the interwebs looking for nets. I found a couple less expensive wooden nets hand made in the U.S. by a couple of different craftsman, but I just haven't been able to get my self to invest money in another net. Even though I'm really tired of flies getting caught in the nylon mesh bag on my existing net.

I decided to order a 40" Measure Net rubber replacement net bag as that is the size my current net would use. The measurement bag fit perfectly and installed easily after removing the existing net by simply unzipping the zipper round the opening of the measure net slipping the net around the hoop of my nice wooden net and then zipping the zipper closed. Now I have a rubber net that hooks won't get caught in on my beautiful wooden frame and as a added bonus a quick and easy way to measure the fish I catch.:thumbsup: The net bag was only $18 on the Measure Website.

I cant wait to try it. I'm leaving for the Upper Sacramento River after work tonight to join my FF club tomorrow and Sunday drifting the river with The Fly Shop Guides. However, I'm staying till Monday and may stop and walk and wade somewhere on my way home and hopefully I'll catch a few and being to test my new net bag out.:D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Tom: That sounds like a good way to go. I did something similiar a couple years ago, but I replaced my net with the ghost material (not sure what it is really called), it is so much nicer now that my hooks are not clinging to the net material any longer. You will really like the conversion. I hope you have a good trip out to the upper SAC and catch some nice fish!

Larry

FlyBum

Reaction score
Thanks Larry I'm sure I will have a great trip from all the reports I'm getting the Lower Sac is off the hook right now. Plus to top it off I getting to fish with our clubs Fishmeister for this outing and we are being guided by Ernie Denison whom I'm told is the Top Gun guide at The Fly Shop in Redding, CA. and apparently he is going to take us away from where the guides tend to take everyone. So I'm feel'n like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

popperfly

Reaction score
Tom, thanks for sharing the website, that is pretty neat. Give us a report on how it worked out for you.

Hope you have a successful and save trip

jcw355

Reaction score
I book marked that site if I ever need to get a new rubber net. Thanks for the link.

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Someone else posted part of this information in another posting. If you want to switch to rubber (versus conveting an existing net frame) check out the Brodin website - they now have their "Trout Bum" series of ghost nets, all using a thermoplasctic handle with an aluminum bow, and selling at less than 1/2 the cost of the wood handled Ghost nets.
Ghost Bags

Vans

Reaction score
That is a good looking net flybum.

When i was first gearing up my fly fishing accessories, i picked up a net i saw at Dick's that seemed like a decent one.

It is a Frabill wood handle rubber net. It was only $25-ish so i grabbed. Unfortunately it is a still a virgin. The fish i have caught were landed by hand or with someone else's net.

Frabill Catch and Release net

I havent heard anything good or bad about it first hand or from a trusted web site. At some point i will probably pick up one of the high dollar ones just to fulfill my need to be a completest gear wh0re.

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
My fishing buddy got one of those Frabill rubber nets from bass pro shop last year. I was very, very impressed with the quality and price. It's a little heavier than a nylon mesh but any magnetic holder out there will hold it.

I looked at the measure net, but IMO, the mesh is too small. It makes scooping up a fish in fast water way too hard. I much prefer the larger net mesh of the Frabill. I can't tell it from a Brodin at one-third the price.

Chris