Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    If you fish a lot of big water like I do,there is no better GPS than the Lowrance H2O. It has GPS and WAAS making so accurate when I walk down docks at resorts, which are on the map, it shows me not only on the dock but the side of the dock I'm on. I have the Lake Master chip for the Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River. It shows the bottom contours in 1 foot increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. You can save spots and mark them on the map with icons of your choice. You can put the cursor on a spot and "Go To" it. It does not eat batteries. It's waterproof. I've seen a lot of GPS's and they are not a patch on the butt of mine. There are a ton of really good chips for them too.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    19,011
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    If you fish a lot of big water like I do,there is no better GPS than the Lowrance H2O. It has GPS and WAAS making so accurate when I walk down docks at resorts, which are on the map, it shows me not only on the dock but the side of the dock I'm on. I have the Lake Master chip for the Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River. It shows the bottom contours in 1 foot increments. It shows everything but lost fishing tackle. You can save spots and mark them on the map with icons of your choice. You can put the cursor on a spot and "Go To" it. It does not eat batteries. It's waterproof. I've seen a lot of GPS's and they are not a patch on the butt of mine. There are a ton of really good chips for them too.
    Dan: It looks like the Lowrance h20 is discontinued.
    GPS Handheld | LOWRANCE iFINDERŽ H2O | GPS Navigation
    Do you think the Endura has all the same capabilities you enjoy in the H20?

    Larry
    Larry


  3. #13

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    I would vote for the Garmin 60CX. I have had several pver the years. I like the Etrax Legend for its size but still think the 60 series is the way to go. I have only used the new touch screen versions a little buit and they are nice butyou can not beat the price or size of the Etrex. I would seriously consider a used 60. Go Geocatching forums and plenty of good deals on a used GPS.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    230

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Im going to go another direction with this. Bushnell Bactrack. No features, size of a stop watch, one button simple to use, dead on acurate. This is far and away the easies gps to use i have ever seen. I dont think anyone could be confused by this...even a caveman. Its also $50 bucks wich is nice. I got so sick of getting lost in the features of my $500 handheld i ebayed it and got some new wading boots and the backtrack gps...best idea i ever had as i love it. It has literaly saved my life several times in Northern Canada and Michigans U.P wich is as desolite as it gets.

  5. #15

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    My Garmin has never let me down,

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Dan: It looks like the Lowrance h20 is discontinued.
    GPS Handheld | LOWRANCE iFINDERŽ H2O | GPS Navigation
    Do you think the Endura has all the same capabilities you enjoy in the H20?

    Larry
    I hate when companies do this. The H2O is so popular here that if you go to the boat ramps on a busy day you literally can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone that has one. Why they would discontinue it is beyond me. I called them and asked them about it and they did not seem to have a reasonable answer. I'm not going to say the Endura is as good because I just don't know. They do have the GPS and WAAS, and they added stuff to some of them like the Sierra like an MP3 player. This is kind of typical for stuff I really like. If I like it, it's doomed. If you want to see the largest collection of discontinued fishing stuff in the free world, come look in my tackle room.

  7. Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Motorola makes GPS' now I believe... and they look like a lot for the money. May warrant a look.
    Stay bent..............

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Missouri City (near Houston), Texas
    Posts
    1,262

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    . . . you literally can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone that has one. . . .
    Has anyone actually done that? I'm guessing only in the winter, because your car trunk might get kind of ripe in the summer.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
    Has anyone actually done that? I'm guessing only in the winter, because your car trunk might get kind of ripe in the summer.
    I like them ripe. I'm experimenting with turning them into something useful. An artificial fuel called Catahol.

  10. Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

    Thanks for all of the help guys. I have to go with Hardyreels on this one. I purchased the Garmin etrex vista. I wholeheartedly agree with the topo and compass approach. As for the etrex vista, its fine, keeps your location, tells you how to get back to car/campsite, and can keep you from getting lost. Simple, "cheap", and for the most part effective.

    Thanks guys,
    Tommy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. where to go? suggestions, please!
    By alex_brazil in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
  2. Need suggestions for my 3 wt
    By kfisher99 in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-07-2010, 10:37 PM
  3. 5 wt suggestions
    By rjackh in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM
  4. Suggestions Please
    By wtravis in forum Fly Reels
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM
  5. suggestions on a Rod
    By conceptmachine in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •