Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Suggestions?

1. Default GPS Suggestions?

Simple topic I guess, but I was wondering if anyone could help me find the right gps for an upcoming backpacking trip.
    Must be:
    1) relatively inexpensive
    2) user friendly
    3) long battery life.
    That's about it.
    Thanks for the help.
    Tommy

Default Re: GPS Suggestions?

I have a garmin extrex hc that I like pretty well.

Would definitely go with a garmin, no matter what model.

-Forrest

Blog Entries

I have a Garmin that is about 10 years old. The only feature I wished it had was to hook up to the computer and create a map out of the trip I took. That would be great for those times when you stumble on those hidden honey holes and want to wander back.

But other than that it's a good, solid GPS. So I second the Garmin vote.
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Garmin 60csx .. without a DOUBT the best GPSr on the market .. BAR NONE.

Gordon in NC
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing ... start with a small country.

I'm going to beg to differ gordon. sorry. Garmin Dakota 20, hands down!

Blog Entries

Hi fellas,

When I say things like I am about to wright; I ask that you take into account that I grew up and learned much of my craft before the age of modern Hi tech. I am not ancient (just 56 at the present) but to our younger members some of my posts may seem a bit out of touch. I would suggest that although some things have been made to seem as moot by advances in technology many of the old ways are well worth mastering even today.

I own a old Garmin ETrex Vista but use it in a very limited fashion. I use it to mark waypoints and to find navigation bearings to said waypoints with. For general orienteering into new country I prefer hard copy topographic quadrangle maps in 7.5 minute series used in conjunction with my trusty Sunto Ranger. In 1984 I took a free two day map reading & orienteering class offered by the Pennsylvania Department of Forestry and came away a new man when it came to knowing what I was doing with maps. You can order the quads for any region you plan to trek in and become so familiar and oriented with the area from your kitchen table top that it is hard to believe.

Although the GPS devices are way cool, for me there is no more rewarding way to prepare for an exploration than to familiarize myself with the quads that I will be traveling prior to the trip. Old school...........yes, obsoleate.........no. I should that that whole battery going dead thing is a giant pain also.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I use crumbs from the bread my wife makes, nothing eats it and it's slow to rot.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I use crumbs from the bread my wife makes, nothing eats it and it's slow to rot.

Dave
    Dave: You better hope your wife doesn't see that post!

Larry
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Dave: You better hope your wife doesn't see that post!

Larry
    Larry: The Pentagon couldn't break the password I use.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

the garmin vista is a good place to look, you can get the topo and waterways add on. and it fits in a pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast