Caught a Rainbow Today, Sort Of....

FrankB2

Reaction score
I was fishing the Neshaminy Creek, and it was recently stocked with Rainbows and Browns. After catching a nice brown, I continued casting a heavily
weighted Green Weenie. I thought I had a take, but then it felt like a boot. The line moved upstream, and I'd never seen a boot do that. Turned out that
I snagged about 30 feet of monofilament with a really nice Rainbow attached! This fish had fantastic color, and had a small bait hook lodged just down from
its tongue. It was in that cartilage area, and wasn't bleeding. I was able to easily get the hook out, and then release him. The fish still had plenty of fight left, so I'm glad to have snagged him. It would have been a shame for that specimen to languish away like that.

Makes you wonder............

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was expecting the worst, but this fish must have been recently caught: tons of fight left in him. Maybe I'll see him another day.

Confession: I'm not 100% saint. I left the 30 feet of mono, split shot, and hook on the bank after releasing the rainbow. The plan was to wade downstream, and then pick up the mess on the way back up. I waded upstream instead and thought about leaving it, but went back to pick it up..... :eek:

thonyb

Reaction score
it is ok frank. we have all done it. i usually cut the stuff into my waders. i will walk by and say oh ill pick up the piece trash on the way back..... and blow it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I gather mono all the time, seems there is always some wherever you are. If you want to leave some mono behind, take out that knife you carry, coil the line into a small figure eight and then cut it so that you end up with sections no longer than 4 - 6" of strait stock. Many birds will find some line useful in nest construction. I once watched a Thrush struggle with a coil of line and figured she / he must have wanted it for building materials so............................ I don't recommend doing this all the time but occasionally I leave some all chopped up.

P.S. Frank, I would count that fish as a catch :icon_wink

sandfly

Reaction score
typical for the neshamminy creek. put and take. the bait guys dump their trash all over and don't care about the area. glad you help the fish, but by june if it isn't caught it will die from high temps.

Jakeway

Reaction score
I did the same thing this morning at my local lake, but it was a bluegill. He had a worm hook deep in his throught, with about a 6 inch heavy mono snelled-hook leasder protrudin gfrom his mouth. My Hare's Ear nymph was hooked in the look of the leader.

What are the odds?

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Good job releasing the fish! A couple of months ago my fishing partner was using a 3 nymph rig and actually lassoed a trout. No hook in the fish at all.
Hey if you are looking for a great way to store scrap mono, and lots of it, Ray and I use these. Hold an immense amount of line and you just pull out the centre and snip it all off with scissors.
monoMASTER - innovative fishing tool for storing waste monofilament