A river runs....downstairs!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My friend Jan is a lucky angler...he has a C&R section just in front of his flat:eek:....he can watch the trout from his balcony !! put on his waders ,take the lift or the stairs and be on the water:D!!A few weeks ago he called me to invite me.Jan is an old friend but we don’t meet as often as we’d like to.Jan took part in flyfishing competitions for years(France champion twice, World champion once…among others)I know people on the forum don’t like flyfishing competitions…I don’t either, but Jan is not only a great fisherman he’s a nice guy who’s always done his best to promote and teach flyfishing to teenagers as well as to protect fish and environment..So it was a great pleasure for me to spend a day fishing with him.As the trout are over fished on nymph and get spooky we both fished on dry…that was the good choice,we could land at least fifteen bows between 40 and 55 cm which fought bravely before being in the net.The weather was perfect,the water clear and the fish active,Jan's wife had cooked a good lunch for us:p… and after a while you forget you're fishing in town...certainly one of my best outings of the season:)
View from Jan's balcony

Jan with a plump bow.

JP with a....smaller bow:D

The river before we left.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
JP: Thanks for posting the great fishing report and photos! Looks like you two had a great day on the water. Jan is indeed fortunate to live right on the river.

Larry

FrankB2

Reaction score
Was there a rabble present? :D

Seriously....that's excellent! Who stocks the trout in France? Local gov't?
I don't know that I'd want to be a competitive fly angler, but I bet there's a lot to be learned from knowing one.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Beautiful looking river... you're a lucky guy to have a good friend on a prime fishing spot. Thanks for sharing your adventure :thumbsup:

Justin

ddombos2

Reaction score
Was there a rabble present? :D

Seriously....that's excellent! Who stocks the trout in France? Local gov't?
I don't know that I'd want to be a competitive fly angler, but I bet there's a lot to be learned from knowing one.
Frank, you are cracking me up with your rantings against rabble.

Congrats JP, on a fine outing, and to Jan on an outstanding real estate purchase.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys;)
Originally Posted by FrankB2
Was there a rabble present?
Frank...there were a few spectators...who didn't throw stones at us:Dbut cheered and applauded us:worthy::Dmust admit the tickets are quite cheap when we're on tour:D:D

mrpro

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that.

We are driving down to the South of France in a few weeks, I might have to wet a line there!!!

wjc

Reaction score
JP,

That's a really beautiful spot and beautiful rainbows as well. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's really fun when you have an audience and do a good job isn't it?

Cheers,
Jim

mrpro

Reaction score
We are staying in a place called Frejus, we have stayed there before and all I could find was a carp fishing lake (apparently very famous) but I didnt catch.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice pics and nice fish, J-P. Thanks for posting them.

Looks a little different than what you can see from the A9! ;)

By the way, there are some forum members here that enjoy competition. Your friend Jan sound like a very interesting person to me.

Pocono

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Beautiful pics JP, looks like you had a great time with a good friend. Nothing better!