Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Flex Index

Default Rod Flex Index

Hi everyone,
    I was looking into buying an Orvis Hydros 5wt 9ft rod. I just dont know what flex index to get. What would be the best flex index for all around dry fly and nymph fishing on medium size to larger size streams?

Do I want a Mid Flex or Tip Flex?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Orvis has a deal going. Buy any Helios, Hydros, or TLS rod and get a Battenkill Bar Stock, Mid Arbor, or Large Arbor Free!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rod Flex Index

The orvis flex rating in both is good for what your looking to fish. The difference comes down to your casting stroke. The mid flex accomodates a wider range of casting stroke. Tip flex is a fast action rod and requires a shorter power stroke to cast effectively. I'd recommend casting both if you can get into an Orvis shop. The sales rep can help you decide which is best for your casting stroke. I fish streamers on big water and high winds so I use a tip flex most the time. For dries and nymphs I use either or mid or tip flex. Mid flex allows for a more sutle presentation. Try to get to an Orvis shop if you can and give them a cast
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

3. Default Re: Rod Flex Index

I have the full flex 4.5 to tip flex 9.0 FOR ME best all around is the 7.0 or 7.5 mid.
    Enuff umph for wind, and bigger bugs, while sensitive with the small dries.

Thumbs up Re: Rod Flex Index

I think that the Mid Flex would be the best rod for me along with a Battenkill Large Arbor ll.

Blog Entries

I have several mid flex rods that I use for client rods. They perform very well wether the client is an experienced caster or has never touched a rod before. I use them myself for my dry fly fishing, wether it is 18 & 20 BWO's or big hoppers and chernobyl ants. Unless you have a specific need for or prefer a fast action rod I think the midflex will serve you well. Mine are all 6.0's.

Which model Batten Kill reel are you thinking of choosing?
    Davo

Well considering how great of a reel it is and because its free Im going with the Battenkill Large Arbor Trout reel. I have a Battenkill Bar Stock and Mid Arbor already. I like really like both reels so the large arbor should be no different.

Blog Entries

I just recently got a large arbor for my 7wt streamer rod. It's a really nice reel. I think you'll be very happy with the set up your looking at!!
    Davo

I'm sure I will. Since I am getting a hydros rod which is a dark blue finish I'm stuck between getting a black or titanium reel. What do you think?

Blog Entries

Mines Black. Very sharp looking. I'll be getting a couple Hydros rods later in the season, 5wt and 4wt. I figure I'll get two reels one in gold and one in titanium. Just so I can tell which is which at a glance. But I really like the black.
    Davo

Do you have the black reel on a hydros rod? I personally like black better but I don't know if it will look as good as titanium with that color rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast