Echo 10 wt Rod test

dmort

Reaction score
That was ridiculous. What does echo get out of this? Obviously I now trust that echo rods are strong, but its a 10wt. I already knew that it was strong. I see this as a waste of a perfectly nice fly rod!

I do suppose that there needs to be some degree of independent testing to confirm manufacturers specs, but come'on.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Never assume that just because a rod is rated by the company as a ten or twelve or whatever weight that it is "strong". I'm attaching a picture of a fine little lady (103 pounds) that broke a 14 weight rod on 25 pound Jack. She was trying to bring the fish close enough to gaff, and whoops, a broken rod. Notice the tip section hanging by the fish. The rod had that same day landed several other Jacks and a few smallish tarpon. As far as we know there were no scrapes or nicks on the shaft of the rod that led to its failure. The back-up rod of the same weight and manufacturer also failed, but on a 70pound tarpon, under the same conditions, trying to bring it to the side of the boat.

I know you all want to know the manufacturer.....TFO. After cooresponding with them about the failures, they assured me that they have addressed the issue on the newer rods. The failures occured two years ago.

oregonism

Reaction score
That was ridiculous. What does echo get out of this? Obviously I now trust that echo rods are strong, but its a 10wt. I already knew that it was strong. I see this as a waste of a perfectly nice fly rod!

I do suppose that there needs to be some degree of independent testing to confirm manufacturers specs, but come'on.
They do this for all the rods just to prove that they are quite strong. Even their 3wt took some pretty intense pressure to break... and that's saying a lot imo.

I personally have one of their rods, and I trust that it likely won't break on a fish.