Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermometer

Default Thermometer

Anyone have a water thermometer that they like? Is it worth getting?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thermometer

Fishtacos

I have one I bought years ago. Never bother with it in the summer months, but spring and fall it can be useful to see how active or slow the fish are going to be. Mine is just one of those thermometers in a metal tube. Nothin fancy and I think it only cost like $10.00. I attached it to a zinger and just hanging over the side of the boat for a minute to get a reading.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Blog Entries

i use a quick read chef's thermo from right out of the kitchen.... works like a charm in seconds

I've got one with the same name as an expensive fly box. Ironically after I bought one for more than twice what Davo paid I won another of the same at our FF Club raffle. One of them broke in my vest pocket so I took it apart. Poorly made. Just a cheap glass thermometer in a fancy plastic case. Steer clear. The metal one sounds better.

Fly Fishing Thermometers

This is the one I was looking at. Does look like a cheap glass thermometer but is in a case.

Check out the description: "functional and cute". Hilarious.

Blog Entries

fishtacos

Here is the one I bought like 20yrs ago, seems the price has not gone up much.

Fly Fishing Thermometers / Rugged Stream Thermometer -- Orvis

Yours looks much fancier, but hey for only $7.00 bucks more and I do like Fishpond gear.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Blog Entries

Fishtacos, a Fish Pond thermometer is indispensable to me year round. Price is no object when after a wiley trout.
    In the summer we have cold springs that rise under the river, find one , win a fish.
    In the winter, warmer waters are good to hit. (stream edges).
    If I was ectothermic you could find me with one.
    I keep mine on a long coiled cord. I don't want to stick my hand in that cold water.
    We play a guess the temp game, to see who can come closest. Never know when you might have to guess, for real!

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 05-03-2010 at 12:19 PM.
    Ultimately, it's not catching fish that satisfies, but knowing how.

Bigfly

Blog Entries

I have the Orvis and the Fishpond thermometers. I like them because they are metal cased for extra protection. They are valuable as Jim said. A few degrees can make a huge difference.

MP

I've had several thermometers, the most recent of which is a thermal infared MicroTemp MP100 Micro Temp Digital Infrared Thermometer : Cabela's

All things considered, I prefer the thermal infareds. While you can't get a below-the-surface temperature, you also don't have to get your hands cold in the process. And their remote sensing capability comes in handy, keeping you from having to wade to the point of water you want to measure. On the other hand, I'm not sure they're waterproof like the regular thermometers are, but then, with a lanyard, it shouldn't be too hard to keep them dry . . . and they're small, the size of a small cigar butt.

There are many models of thermal infareds, but I recommend highly this MicroTemp MP100. For one thing, at around $23, it's half the price of others. Secondly, I've tested it against normal thermometers, and it's at least as accurate. Plus, there's plenty of other uses to put it to, such as seeing if the pool is warm enough to jump into without bending over to put a normal thermometer into it (you can tell I have a bad back;-)
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

Thanks fly2fish! I can also use that thermometer to brew beer. Perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast