keeping fly rod in car?

mobarclay

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm 'revisiting' fly fishing (see my intro posted earlier today) and would like to fish as often as I can (duh). I'd like to keep my fly rod and reel in my car to be ready to fish when I see some water. (I have a job where I drive a lot and have some downtime that could be used fishing.) Lately it's been pretty hot outside and inside my car. WIll this harm my rod, line, flies, etc.?
THanks!
Chris

Joni

Reaction score
I am sure it can't be good for it. Inside of cars or vehicles gets a lot higher then outside. I haven't seen rod damage so to speak, but have seen rod tubes bend bad. Never say the rod inside those tubes:confused:

gregorykicks

Reaction score
I think it does the most damage to your fly line.

taken from http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/linecare.html

Heat. Never ever leave a line-filled fly reel on the dashboard or rear ledge of an automobile parked in the hot sun. The level of heat buildup from the sun coming through the windshield or rear window can literally cook the line and start internal plasticizer migration. Visible cracks may not occur immediately, but the damage will have been done.

After I read that back in may, I stopped leaving my fly gear in my car all the time.

Joni

Reaction score
gregorykicks said:
I think it does the most damage to your fly line.taken from http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/linecare.htmlHeat. Never ever leave a line-filled fly reel on the dashboard or rear ledge of an automobile parked in the hot sun. The level of heat buildup from the sun coming through the windshield or rear window can literally cook the line and start internal plasticizer migration. Visible cracks may not occur immediately, but the damage will have been done.After I read that back in may, I stopped leaving my fly gear in my car all the time.

That makes good sense. I have to wonder about the apoxi (m/s) on the guide wraps and the finish on a rod also.

mobarclay

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input. The line seems like it would be the first to suffer. I guess common sense goes a long way when caring for my outfit, eh?

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Consider the possibility of your gear being stolen as well. I had my truck broken into a few yrs ago when we stopped to eat after a day of fishing...

Joni

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
Consider the possibility of your gear being stolen as well. I had my truck broken into a few yrs ago when we stopped to eat after a day of fishing...
Oh yeah, for about that one...Spencer's got broke in behind the store and they got all the rods and reels used for teaching the Boy Scouts.

mobarclay

Reaction score
Getting my stuff stolen? I didn't even consider that - I am sorry to hear that happened!