Amphibious hiking/fishing shoe

tommyfost

Reaction score
As you guys may have noticed I am revamping my camping and fishing equipment and asking a ton of questions about stuff. Reviews are fine, but I think your feedback has been a lot more helpful.

My next question is about amphibious hiking/fishing shoes. I managed to get about 6 years of hard use out of a pair of Salomon Tech Amphibians. To me there has rarely been a better use of $75. The pros and cons of the Tech Amphibian are below as a guideline for suggestions.
Pros:
Lightweight (Top)
Amazing Durability
Quick Drying/Draining
Insoles easily come out for cleaning or removal altogether
Comfortable (Regularly used them for running, never gave me a blister)

Cons:
Poor traction on wet rocks (Much better on dry than wet)
Lacking ankle support
Little toe protection

Based on these pros and cons can y'all give me a few suggestions on what kind of shoe/sandal I should check out.

Thanks a ton,
Tommy

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tommy,

I have hiked in about every type of footwear available including bare foot. When it comes to wading freestone streams I've used plain old Red Ball wading Hi top sneakers (circa 1976) rubber sole athletic sandals, felt soled wading boots, cleated felt, cleated rubber, and of course bare feet. I've had a few wading boots that were comfortable enough for a long walk and even some technical climbing through canyons in western states.

Long story made short; nothing beats a real fishing designed product when you are going to walk on a stream bed. Unless you are hiking over 5 miles to reach your destination I would either just wear my wading boot or would carry them and my waders in my pack so I had them when I reached the place where I would need them. With the use I subject my boots to I don't expect any to last for six years of what I do.

If it helps at all, last year I walked 3.5 miles (one way) to a fishing spot and back in a pair of Korkers brand boots with the studded rubber soles and both the soles and my feet completed the trek with out pain or damage.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Like Ard I' just hike, and wet wade in my rubber soled Cabela's wading boots. It's sort of a knock around pair that I treat tough. I've got a pair of LL Bean studded rubber, and probably wouldn't do that.

araitim

Reaction score
for me, i love Keens. iv used to order directly from them until local stores started carrying them. i have 3 pair of their sandal and wear them for everything. my 2nd choice would be my Vibram Five Fingers. iv had them for years now and wearing them i feel more in touch with mother nature, like walking barefoot but not worrying about getting cut. i also have a couple pair of Chocos but they cause blisters and feel uncomfortable.

KngFhearts

Reaction score
for me, i love Keens. iv used to order directly from them until local stores started carrying them. i have 3 pair of their sandal and wear them for everything. my 2nd choice would be my Vibram Five Fingers. iv had them for years now and wearing them i feel more in touch with mother nature, like walking barefoot but not worrying about getting cut. i also have a couple pair of Chocos but they cause blisters and feel uncomfortable.
Yep Keens for me too. I like the sandals with the bunjee ties on front.

racine

Reaction score
I bought a pair of LL Bean Aquastealth wading boots back in 2001 and I am amazed how much hiking I've been able to do with them. For the most part the most I've done was 4 miles round trip on mostly flat sandy trails. A few years ago I was hiking down to the Gunnison River, about 4-5 miles, when my newish Salomon hiking boots delaminated with while I carried a 45lb pack. They only had less than 40 miles on the odometer so I was stunned, stuck but I made the last 3 miles to the water hiking on the lasts. For the trip back I used my wading and studded aquastealths with really no problems I could recall. In a pinch they did just fine and frankly in that rocky scree I had no problems but I did have hiking poles for some help. 3 years later the LL Beans are still fine and though I may wade less than 14 days a year, that's 10 years with no worries.

highhigh

Account on hold
Reaction score
I bought a pair of LL Bean Aquastealth wading boots back in 2001 and I am amazed how much hiking I've been able to do with them. For the most part the most I've done was 4 miles round trip on mostly flat sandy trails. A few years ago I was hiking down to the Gunnison River, about 4-5 miles, when my newish Salomon hiking boots delaminated with while I carried a 45lb pack. They only had less than 40 miles on the odometer so I was stunned, stuck but I made the last 3 miles to the water hiking on the lasts. For the trip back I used my wading and studded aquastealths with really no problems I could recall. In a pinch they did just fine and frankly in that rocky scree I had no problems but I did have hiking poles for some help. 3 years later the LL Beans are still fine and though I may wade less than 14 days a year, that's 10 years with no worries.
sounds u have gotten nice fishing shoes. By the way, how do u guys think about these Wading Shoes? Are they nice for fishing?