Furled leaders?

mobarclay

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have recently started using a furled leader I bought at FeatherCraft here in St. Louis. Several years ago when I flyfished for bass I used a regular tapered leader because that's all I knew about. The guys at FC suggested I try the furled leaders (for versatility, turnover, etc.) when I started getting back into flyfishing. I have noticed it sinks a little and when I brought this up to FC, they said I could put some floatant on it if it causes any problems.
What can any of ya'll tell me about pro's and con's of furled leaders vs. tapered leaders?
Thanks!
Chris

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never use tapered leaders anymore. I switched to furled and braided leaders a few yrs ago (except for saltwater flyfishing). Now I have given those up as well and only use Polyleaders. Polyleaders come in floating, intermediate sink and fast sink. They are incredible.

Orvis sells the "High Float" braided leaders that are incredible and never seem to sink. (I just wish their floating line floated as well).

I attached the furled leaders to my line via a loop to loop and then tied a perfection loop on my tippet. Once you get the hang of these you can do it in the dark. Now you only have to tie one "knot" and that is to your fly.

mobarclay

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I like the idea of furled leaders a lot and haven't found a reason to dislike them but wanted to know others' experience with them.
Chris

Joni

Reaction score
Like Mike has said furled are great. The braided don't act the same at all to me. Seem to spray the water, but they do float.
I only use tapered leaders if I am using a breakaway indicator for obvious reasons. And I use my hand tied leaders for nymphing (love the idea of the knots for indicators and or split shot. But I make and use furled leaders on everything else. Love the way they turn over. I even make them with a bright red or green in one first section for an indicator.
Treat them with aqual, gink, mucillin or anything that is enviromently friendly. I always pack a couple at least. If the fish are hitting good, it can get a little water logged. Put a new on on and let the other dry, treat it again and ready to use again.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Orvis sells the "High Float" braided leaders that are incredible and never seem to sink.
Mike, is this what your refering too?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=574X&dir_id=758&group_id=10660&cat_id=5133&subcat_id=6014

But I make and use furled leaders on everything else. Love the way they turn over. I even make them with a bright red or green in one first section for an indicator.
Joni, what do you use to make your furled leaders? I've heard people using nylon sewing thread. What do you use for the different colors? If I wanted to learn how to make them myself where could you point me to start out?

I appreciate all the help.
Thanks,
Terry

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
DK, yes. They come in regular and "high float".

I knew a guy that made them out of regular sowing thread.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Fanatic of fish,
I appreciate it. I couldn't find the High Float version.
Thanks,
Terry

Joni

Reaction score
To make your own, go to Kathy Scott. She has a DVD that makes it simple as heck for $10 or $15.
I use Uni-thread 0.6. I have used the Coats and Clarks nylon in .005. Works great. I have even added one strand of Kevlar for a nice nymph leader.
I guided all week and put these on the lines of the clients using dries and they were blown away. Too bad I didn't have a bunch with me, I could have made gas money. LOL

dukeofurl

Reaction score
Any questions that you may have about leader furling I can help, I make my own for my self and for sale. I know what I am talking about, I have sold 50 in the past 8 months.
The first step in furling your own leaders the right way,
Do a goole search for (Furled Leader Jig) and look for pictures and diagrams by (HENK VERHARR) sp?

I treat my leaders with a thick silicone paste called FLY TOP

Dukeofurl

Joni

Reaction score
That is why I mentioned Kathy Scott. Her video is so easy I kid could figure this out. Very well done step by step video.
Not trying to step on your toes Duke:icon_bigg This was how I learned is all.
Keep up the good work.