Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The local derby

Default The local derby

Last weekend I took my daughter Maeve to a youth trout derby run by a local sportsman's club. It was a beautiful sunny day, and the brookies were biting. The club stocked about a half mile of stream with 500 fish for the youngsters to fish, all Brookies anywhere from 8 to 12 inches. What I like about the Derby.....all the kids get a prize. There are no prizes for the biggest or the most caught, or anything like that. All participants are winners!

Notice her right hand on the line. I bought her a beautiful vintage Fenwick 6 foot 5 weight fly rod and reel, but its not PINK!

Maeve caught and released 8 trout in about half an hour. Talk about peaking an interest! And yes, fathers, at age eleven you can see why my nightmares are just beginning! Not with fishing......with boys.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 AM ----------

can anybody tell me where to buy a pink fly rod?
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The local derby

Nice pics and report Homer...not sure you'll find a pink fly rod unless you phone Barbie to see if she wants to sell hers....but If I remember... Wright & Mc Gill,Elkhorn and TFO...have a special model for girls .
    Have a look on their sites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
    Thanks! I will try and win it. Seems a fair price.....we'll see where it ends.
    Homer

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.

Homer check out TFO and Ross; I'm pretty sure both offer Pink rods of some sort.

While the wife and I would have liked to have a girl, I'm kind of glad now we didn't. It's a shame they have to get older and intersted in boys...

Dan