Guided Alaska Trips?

swhite1989

Reaction score
I intend on going on my first guided trip during 2011. I want to go to Alaska for sure, I was wondering what guides you guys/gals would suggest that I look into. I wanna take my GF, who is not so much into the fishing but she does enjoy things like hiking and what not, I want something that we can both enjoy. I have found a ton of places through google, but I would rather talk to people that may have used the guides and can give me real input. Like I said, I dont intend on taking this trip till 2011 so I want to do as much research as I can between now and then, this is going to cost a good bit of money. Any help I can get, I would greatly appreciate it!

2PawsRiver

Reaction score
First things first........where in Alaska, huge state and what are you thinking about fishing for, as both will determine your best time to go.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I will concur with Mark, if you would be more specific as to what you would like to fish for (species) I may be in a good position to be of assistance to you.

Ard

swhite1989

Reaction score
I want to do mostly trout, buta I wouldnt mind trying salmon ( i have never fished salmon before). As for location, im sure that if i target a species then, that will dictate where i will be going

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi swhite1989,

You will love Alaska. Are you thinking about a lodge or just a guide for a couple of days. Lodge fishing can run from $3,000 up to $7,000. Depending on where you go and how long you stay. Then there are places like King Salmon where you can stay at a hotel and fish local waters. There are also float trips and they can be economical compared to some fishing. There are day trips on the Kenai and fly out trips from Anchorage, King Salmon, Kotzeibue, and Nome.

So you can see that how much you want to spend has a lot to do with the type of trip you can get. Keep in mind that at a lodge there is an extra cost for a non-fishing guest.

There are also State Cabins that you can reserve and the cost is low. The problem with this is you are limited to that particular location. You have to charter into the cabin. There are many Air Services that have cabins on remote lakes. The problem with remote locations on your own is the lack of experience of dealing with the bush. With just you and your girl friend this may be a poor choice.

So give us some idea of what you want to spend and I think we can get you fixed up.

Frank

mrfzx

Reaction score
I HIGHLY ricommend the Kvichak River, and the Kvichak River Lodge. If you are interested PM me and I can get you specifics.

swhite1989

Reaction score
I want to keep it right around the 3500-4000 pp. I def want to do something organized by a prof. (im from the country and all but Alaska is a whole different kind of beast). Also at that price am i looking at a weekend, or weeklong thing? I just dont know what it is that im looking at, and its kind of overwhelming.

Also, seeing as how I havnt been on any guided trips, and have only been "seriously" fly fishing for about a year or two now, should I push this trip back until i get a little more experience with guided trips and fishing in general? I would really hate to spend this much money and it be out of my league. I appreciate everyone's input so far though. Thank you!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi swhite1989,

Does your girl friend fish? That will impact your cost. You also have to consider travel cost and staying in a motel the day before departure from Anchorage to the lodge and then a motel on the return to Anchorage. With the girl friend along you may consider a few days in Anchorage and take in the sites.

If you can cast 40' and know how to mend your line you will catch fish. Some people go on trips that don't know a thing and still have a good time and catch some fish. The guides in Alaska are pretty much excellent and they will be a big help. Some lower cost trips put one guide with three people but most lodges have two people. It depends on if you are flying to a lodge and then use jet boats to get around. In this case there could be four fishermen to a single guide. If everybody in the boat is a beginner then that puts a load on the guide. That doesn't happen very often. Just make sure you know how to rig your setup and change flies. The guide will tell you were to fish as he knows where the fish hold in his water. He will also tell you what flies to use. Whoever you fish with will tell you what flies to bring. Most guides will have his killer fly and setup.

Considering your experience and budget I can recommend the Copper River Lodge. The fee for a week is $4300. I don't think they take non-fishing guest. They only take six fishermen per week and the river is fly fish only with catch and release for Trout. Late in the Season you can expect some big Rainbows. The river is easy to wade and that might be best for your girl friend. They do use jet boats for transportation with three fishers to the boat. This is one of Alaska pretties rivers. You can also arrange a one day fly out to the upper river to fish where there won't be other people fishing. This river has some dry fly fishing. This is a low pressure lodge with out the pressure you get on some fly out lodges that is always go, go, go due to weather problems.

You can check out the Copper River Lodge here. If I ever go back to Alaska for another trip this is where I would go because of the easy wading, nice fish and limited fishers.

Another trip to consider is just a short fly out from Anchorage on the Talachulitna River. Beartracks Lodge is located mid-river. While I don't know anything about the lodge I do know the Tal gets a lot of fish and has a resident population of Trout. Trout here will not run as large as you will find in the Copper. Their prices are very reasonable but they expect help from the guest with some of the chores around camp. Expect to clean your own fish. This would be more of a Salmon experience than Trout. The Tal gets runs of all the Salmon. I would choose later when the Silvers are running. You can stay as short as four days and you pay by the day so you can adjust the cost to fit your budget. They use jet boats to reach fishing spots.

A lot of Anchorage people float the Tal but the mid-river is the most productive. Years that have low water some of the floats start at mid-river instead of at the lake.

So there are two options just off the top of my head. Study the two sites and it will give you a feel of a full lodge and a kind of a do it yourself lodge. When you have a better feel of what you want to do we can consider may other options.

Frank

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you have gathered good pointers here. But.............

Unless you come late in the season (September) and if you are bringing a non fishing companion...... I have a word that you should remember. Mosquito, if you go into the interior this is mosquito's to the tenth power. Unlike anything you have experienced, bring full body bug net clothing, plan on head to toe for non fishers. The guy catching the fish while out in the river will not mind them but anyone on shore is in for a new sensation.

Ard

swhite1989

Reaction score
Yeah, from what im gathering it looks like she is going to learn how to fly fish. Thanks for the mosquito tip, things like that is def what i want to know that people dont generally tell you when you ask about things like this. Thanks!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I live here and travel and fish the Bush by river boat. We have a cabin out there and I am acutely aware of the conditions one encounters when away from the road system. This is not to say that others don't, just that I spend months out there every year.

If you are interested in trout you should goggle Yakutat Alaska and look at some outfitters down that way. You will see on the map that this area is south and therefore the weather not so harsh. I know a fellow who goes there every year to fish for trout / steelhead. I'll ask who he uses for services there.

Ard

mrfzx

Reaction score
Looks like you have gathered good pointers here. But.............

Unless you come late in the season (September) and if you are bringing a non fishing companion...... I have a word that you should remember. Mosquito, if you go into the interior this is mosquito's to the tenth power. Unlike anything you have experienced, bring full body bug net clothing, plan on head to toe for non fishers. The guy catching the fish while out in the river will not mind them but anyone on shore is in for a new sensation.

Ard
Now THAT is good advice. My first trip up to Ak I was warned about the "state bird" and didn't believe my cousins. Wow! Did I learn quickly! You're absolutely right in that while on the river, the little vampires are not much concern, but back at the house........I darn near slapped myself to death!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Homer,

I spend most of the summer either out in the bush camping along the rivers or at our cabin and I have learned that it is the little things that make or break the trip. I have seen a lot of people who spend a lot of time and money worrying about hauling enough weaponry into the bush to repel a small arms assault but neglect to bring bug netting. I thought it proper to bring the bugs to light.

Ard

mrfzx

Reaction score
LMAO! Yeah, but honestly, I have used the 100% DEET stuff and was still swarmed by the mosquitos in the camp ground at Sterling, AK. Bug Netting is much more effective....until one of the little monsters gets inside the netting! I have seen some VERY creative dance moves from some of my less graceful friends when trying to dislodge a voracious predator from their head nets.

The big drwback to head nets....cigars.