Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Email from Big Y Fly

Default Email from Big Y Fly

I know most of you are fly fishermen and women, but have any of you ever fished for trout using a 2" rapala in the brook trout pattern with spinning gear?
    My buddies use this thing and the trout just love it. I've seen them throw plugs with the brown trout pattern, firetiger and a couple others pattern and then put the brook trout pattern on and catch fish. So I sent Big Y fly an email suggesting they add the brook trout pattern to their Jansen minnow and they said they will be adding it in the upcoming months. I can't wait to try this out. I've never fished the brook trout plug like them because I hardly ever take a spinning rod with me but have watched them just slay the trout with this pattern. I CAN'T WAIT!
    Okiemountaineer

Blog Entries

Default Re: Email from Big Y Fly

Quote Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
    I know most of you are fly fishermen and women, but have any of you ever fished for trout using a 2" rapala in the brook trout pattern with spinning gear?
    My buddies use this thing and the trout just love it. I've seen them throw plugs with the brown trout pattern, firetiger and a couple others pattern and then put the brook trout pattern on and catch fish. So I sent Big Y fly an email suggesting they add the brook trout pattern to their Jansen minnow and they said they will be adding it in the upcoming months. I can't wait to try this out. I've never fished the brook trout plug like them because I hardly ever take a spinning rod with me but have watched them just slay the trout with this pattern. I CAN'T WAIT!
    Here in Jackson Hole guiding on the Snake River I have 2 or 3 spin fishing trips a season. One lure that works quite well on the Cutthroats is the Rapala countdown Rainbow pattern in #3's and 5's. If you can get a fly pattern to match I'm sure it will produce well. Look forward to hearing you results.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Hi jcw,

When I was in Washington State the guides use trolling plugs for Steelhead. That was sixteen years ago. When I was in Alaska they used them on the Kenai River for Rainbows. That was in the 80's. So I don't think it is anything new. They are probably just improving the designs.

Frank

Blog Entries

I like throwing flies that look like Rainbow Trout. When that isn't working, I'll pull out a Rapala that looks like a Rainbow Trout and throw that with my spin rod. Striped Bass go crazy for these.

MP