Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Split shot question

My apologies if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and could not quite find the answer I was looking for. I am gonna fish a reservoir this next week and bought some split shot to get that fly down deep faster. I use a floating line and did not want to be switching line out so I'm going with the weight. My question is where do I place the split shot on the line? At the tippet/leader connection? or right at the fly? I'm using a 0.4g BB, gonna be fishing with the usual prince nymphs, wooly's, and midges. I usually fish small streams with no weight but I figured I would experiment on the reservoir when not hitting the tail waters. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Split shot question

Don't be afraid of a long leader, by long I'm talking 12 - 18'. I like the shot at the tippet blood knot. There are others here more advanced than I at still water fishing and I'm sure they will be able to help you further.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sinfly View Post
    My apologies if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and could not quite find the answer I was looking for. I am gonna fish a reservoir this next week and bought some split shot to get that fly down deep faster. I use a floating line and did not want to be switching line out so I'm going with the weight. My question is where do I place the split shot on the line? At the tippet/leader connection? or right at the fly? I'm using a 0.4g BB, gonna be fishing with the usual prince nymphs, wooly's, and midges. I usually fish small streams with no weight but I figured I would experiment on the reservoir when not hitting the tail waters. Thanks for letting me ramble.
    just at the tippet connection. although, in high water conditions ive put lead directly in front of a wooly bugger countless times to get it down on the bottom quickly and have caught nice fish doing so on multiple occasions.

Just take it easy with casting with the extra weight of the split shot-- and don't try and cast to the horizon until you get the hang of it-- you might need more of an open loop than normal. A long leader might be hard to manage at first (unless you are fishing from a boat or tube where you don't need to cast too far and just flip it out and drift away from it.)
    Mark

Thanks guys for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
    Just take it easy with casting with the extra weight of the split shot-- and don't try and cast to the horizon until you get the hang of it-- you might need more of an open loop than normal. A long leader might be hard to manage at first (unless you are fishing from a boat or tube where you don't need to cast too far and just flip it out and drift away from it.)
    As far as the extra weight, I hear ya, I just started using the Thigamaboober indicator and had to adjust to that. They are kinda bulky but I like em.

Blog Entries

If you plan on hanging a nymph on a long leader system, you may want to use a slip indicator. Read the discussion here.

MP