What line for float tubing?

Jimmie

Reaction score
I recently got a 12' sink tip kit (6 ips) because that's all our local store had. Then I went on line to look at sinking lines. There were full sinking, sink tip, uniform sink, density compensated with different sink rates, line weights. Now I'm really confused.
Is their a good all around system for lakes? Do you ever transition to fast water with a sinking line?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Jimmie,

Yes, and yes............ but I would contact Joni or Mojo because they seem to be on top of still water fishing.

Didgeridoo

Reaction score
I fish from a tube 99% of the time, and I fish with an intermediate sinking line 50% of the time. It's great for using any pattern as you can suspend unweighted flies very easily. Just stop stripping. The other 50% of the time I use a floating line for fishing with an indicator, dry flies, long-lining, and topwater fishing. I always carry two rods with me in the tube and everyone I know who fishes stillwaters does the same. WAY easier than trying to deal with sink tip kits etc.

I recently bought the Cortland Change-a-tip, used it for one trip, took it off. It's awful and doesn't go through the guides as well as they said it would. It kind of chunks through the guides. So I'd stick with a full sink type 3, intermediate, and a floating, if I were to bring three rods.

Nick

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I fish from a tube 99% of the time, and I fish with an intermediate sinking line 50% of the time. It's great for using any pattern as you can suspend unweighted flies very easily. Just stop stripping. The other 50% of the time I use a floating line for fishing with an indicator, dry flies, long-lining, and topwater fishing. I always carry two rods with me in the tube and everyone I know who fishes stillwaters does the same. WAY easier than trying to deal with sink tip kits etc.

I recently bought the Cortland Change-a-tip, used it for one trip, took it off. It's awful and doesn't go through the guides as well as they said it would. It kind of chunks through the guides. So I'd stick with a full sink type 3, intermediate, and a floating, if I were to bring three rods.

Nick
What he said!

MP

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
I use three different options for my stillwater fishing from my pontoon (I graduated to pontoons as my girth expanded...). First, for shallower applications, I'll always defer to my floater and adjust my leader length. Next, I use a Intermediate, clear sink-tip/floater for most applications up to 10 feet of water depth. Last, I use type 4-6 sinking line with a short leader for fishing on the bottom in depths over 10 feet.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

mojo

Reaction score
We use floating- mainly for nymphing if no top water action.
Intermediate- Cortland Clear Camo for shallows.
Type II, III, V and VII. In d/c and the cheaper Cortland Wet Cell. I like the belly that Wet Cell gives you. Keeps your fly above the weeds in 15' and less waters.
Type VII is used with chironomids and nymphs too. If the water depth is 30', I strip off that much line. Cast it out, have patience and let it sink so it's straight down below you. Slowly bring it in using a figure 8 strip and pause. And hold on when the fish hit.
Different sinking lines for different depths of fishing. We fish in water anywhere from 15' to 50' deep. Just have to find out what depth the fish are feeding at and use the appropriate line. Your sink tip should be good to 15'-20'. A 6 ips you have a fast sinking line. Mores for river fishing.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thank you Kelly and Mojo.
One of the guys with us had a depth finder. He showed a shelf at 8' dropping off to 25' in most of the water that we were fishing.
I'll take a look at some V & VII + Wet Cell. I'd like to fish chironomids (got some great looking ones from the fly swap).

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Thank you Kelly and Mojo.
One of the guys with us had a depth finder. He showed a shelf at 8' dropping off to 25' in most of the water that we were fishing.
I'll take a look at some V & VII + Wet Cell. I'd like to fish chironomids (got some great looking ones from the fly swap).
My pleasure. Don't forget the floating line and loooong leaders for the midges combined with the break-away strike indicator. It has definitely changed how we can present those small flies at depth. Joni and Mojo are definitely the experts when it comes to this method and I defer to their wisdom and experience.

Kelly.

Didgeridoo

Reaction score
No problem Ard.

A little trick I learned for fishing chironomids under an indicator is clip your forceps to your fly and drop them to the bottom. Then set your indicator six inches to a foot off the bottom. Works great when you don't have a depth finder. I'll fish this method up to 25 ft! Yes, that's a 25ft+ leader! Very tricky to cast but the fish don't care how it hits the water. :cool:

Definitely the quick-release indicators make things so much easier!!!

nick

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
No problem Ard.

A little trick I learned for fishing chironomids under an indicator is clip your forceps to your fly and drop them to the bottom. Then set your indicator six inches to a foot off the bottom. Works great when you don't have a depth finder. I'll fish this method up to 25 ft! Yes, that's a 25ft+ leader! Very tricky to cast but the fish don't care how it hits the water. :cool:

nick
See, some tutorials don't need much. Excellent explaination of the deep water indicator method, thanks.

kelly.

Joni

Reaction score
No problem Ard.

nick

If I don't have my sonar, I use a little Ice Fishing weight with a clip. Like $.99. Then clip it to the bottom fly, drop it down till it bottoms out then like said, raise it up and set the indicator. I am sending slip indicators to everyone as soon as I get the last two sets of flies.