Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insect Repellant

Default Insect Repellant

It's that time of year to get a bottle of insect repellant. I know that because this last weekend I was being very vigilant and still ended up with a couple of ticks. So, this is a two parter:

First, what do you find to be the best under 30% deet or other insecticide, repellant on the market. Looking especially for tick repellant. I can deal with mosquito bites, but I hate pullin' those suckers out. Do you use repellant applied to your skin or do you spray your clothes with Permethrin? Will deet ruin your expensive gear, such as fly lines, Gore-like products etc.

Second, if you do use deet, I have read it is not only a great insect repellant, but one of the best FISH repellants also, if you get it on your fly. Do you find this to be true and if so, how do you combat the problem.
    Last edited by maccadon3000; 05-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Default Re: Insect Repellant

Mac- I like Deep Woods Off. I buy the aerosol and spray it into a small squeeze bottle that's easier to pack. I put it on my hands and rub it on my head and hat and neckerchief, then I rinse off my hands. I try to be careful to isolate the Off from all my gear.
    Dove season here tends to be very hot and buggy by late morning and the WMA I hunt is lousy with deer, their beds and often, ticks. I spray myself all over, boots to hat.
    I'm pretty sure the Off doesn't deter panfish, I couldn't say if it puts off trout. I'll have to remember that as an excuse!

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Mac- I like Deep Woods Off. I buy the aerosol and spray it into a small squeeze bottle that's easier to pack. I put it on my hands and rub it on my head and hat and neckerchief, then I rinse off my hands. I try to be careful to isolate the Off from all my gear.
    Dove season here tends to be very hot and buggy by late morning and the WMA I hunt is lousy with deer, their beds and often, ticks. I spray myself all over, boots to hat.
    I'm pretty sure the Off doesn't deter panfish, I couldn't say if it puts off trout. I'll have to remember that as an excuse!
    Thanks for the reply. I got one bottle of the Deep Woods yesterday. I know you should wear long pants when you're in a tick infested area, but I'm a shorts wearer in the summer. Hopefully the stuff will help.

Any more input is always welcome. Thanks in advance.

I use the Deepwoods Off too, I put it on my hat and shirt and my arms, so far only 1 tick so far.

not to sure if this works for ticks, but one thing i learned growing up is take your laundry softener, the sheets you put in the drier, and rub that all over your skin. that will help keep the bugs off and theres no deet in it and makes you smell better

Be very careful and do not get any products containing Deet on your fly line, it's a fly line eater, same with many sun block products.
    Last edited by fysh; 05-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Be very careful and do not get any products containing Deet on you fly line, it's a fly line eater, same with many sun block products.
    So because most repellants have deet and every fisherman should use sun block, what product(s) do you use to ward of ticks/mosquitos and sun damage?

Blog Entries

I use either Jungle Juice (REI) or Repell. Both of these come in the pump bottle small enough for the pocket and both have plenty of DEET. When dealing with flying insects like black flies, gnats, and mosquitoes you spray the material on the back side of the hands only and keep it far from the fingers. Apply the material away from rods, reels, cameras, etc and use the back of the hands to rub some onto ears, cheeks etc. I give the hat a good dose also. Here we do not have ticks but the mosquitoes can be mind boggling as can the moose / deer flies once they get onto you. If you spray forearms with anything be sure not to be getting it onto your waders also, something tells me this stuff is not good for waders.

I understand the aversion to the DEET products but when I consider the actual exposure time with this material compared to all of the other hazards we breath and consume daily it seems worth the exposure risk to be able to fish without being eaten alive.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

I use 3m its the best i have found u can get it from cabela's

10. Default Re: Insect Repellant

I used Sawyer Products Clothing Permethrin 24oz SP657 last year for the first time and it really cut down on how much repellent I had to apply directly to myself and was quite effective. I haven't been able to find it locally anywhere this year. It lasted through about 4 washings before it required reapplication.
    Last edited by FlyBum; 05-23-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast