Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 4 weight line on 5/6 rod

Default 4 weight line on 5/6 rod

Hi all,
    My first fishing rod was a pflueger 5/6 rod, but last year I bought a TFO 4 weight rod and an orvis reel with a 4 weight line. I am now planning a trip to fish some lakes up in Maine, and I do not think my 4 weight rod will cut it. Do you think I could put the orvis reel with the 4 weight line on the 5/6 rod?
    Thanks

Default Re: 4 weight line on 5/6 rod

No one on earth but you can answer that question. Just put it on and try it.

Cheers,
    Jim

Try it by all means, but you may find you're a little under gunned with the 4 weight line on the 5/6 weight pflueger-- especially if you'll be throwing larger wind resistant flies like streamers.

You might consider contacting Justin at Allen fly fishing (he's the owner of Allen and a member here on NAFFF) to pick up a 6 weight forward fly line from him for your 5/6 Pflueger. Many of our NAFFF members have had very good experiences with his products, including fly lines, and his prices are tough to beat.
    Mark

Hi utc,

Underlining a rod will work if the caster can adapt to the condition. You can cast a 4wt line with a 5/6 rod but you need more line in the air to compensate for the lighter line. This can be a problem with close in fishing. Then you have the problem with how heavy of a fly you can cast. The lighter line won't turn over as heavy of a fly as a 5wt or definitely a 6wt line. So there are a lot of variables and it is the caster that determines if it works or not. You can get much better results with over lining than under lining in most cases.

I second Mark's suggestion to get one of the Allen 6wt lines.

Frank

I fish lakes with 4wts all the time. The heaviest fly I cast is a #10 weighted Wooly Bugger, and the lakes I fish are always windy. There's no need to cast a mile, and many of the best fish in lakes cruise the banks. In fact, I rarely fish further out than 20-25 feet from the bank, and more often cast right to the edge of the bank. Fish further out from the bank are often cruising deep, and that's a whole 'nuther game all together. My fly fishing strategy is to cast parallel to the bank, and then present my fly to along the edge. Where there are overhanging bushes, I cast right into them. It's common to pull a big lunker out of the bushes.

On really windy days, I do carry a 5wt for lakes and rivers.

Blog Entries

i've never tried underlining a rod but i can imagine it working not very well. ive been playing around with overlining my smaller set ups and its working out greatt

casey

ARFE

It depends on the rod action. My first rod was a Mitchell 300 IM6 labeled as a 5/6. Fishing for panfish that rod practically folded in half with whatever line came with it. When I got serious about fly fishing a couple years ago I bought a 4 weight Imperial and tried the 4 weight line on it and it works just fine. It is still a full flex rod but I've fished it a few times and with the 4 wt. line it is a serviceable rod. I guess a long way of saying try it and see.
    Rich