Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 5wt on largemouth

1. Default 5wt on largemouth

do you think a 5wt rod could handle 16-20 inch largemouth bass?!?!?!?!?
    rabbit fur dubbing- $3.99

peacock hackle- $4.99

catching a fish on your own fly- priceless

2. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

I'd say so, just play it carefully and lead it to open water if possible.

3. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

Sure no problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

You won't have any problems just so long as your using an appropriately sized leader. Heavy wind resistant flies need a bigger leader than dries.
    Dukeofurl

5. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

sweet, because me and my grandpa are going to canoe the grade river and pitch a tent in a different spot every night ( as we move down stream) i tied some crayfish patterens and some frog patterens aloung with some poppers and a couple of streamers. i figure that the bass will be feeding heavier as it gets colder
    rabbit fur dubbing- $3.99

peacock hackle- $4.99

catching a fish on your own fly- priceless

6. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

5Wt will be fine. I've fished smallmouth in AZ for years with my 5Wt loaded with 6Wt WF flyline and a 4'-5' bass leader. This setup really helps you to turn the bass bugs on your cast. (foam poppers, clausers (or any other streamer), crayfish patterns, etc) There's a huge difference in in wind resistance in bass bugs compared to trout flies as "dukeofurl" talked about in a previous post. Pinch your barbs though, you will eventually nail yourself flyfishing with these bugs!

7. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

I've caught a lot of bass on my 4 wt. The only problem I have is tossing some of the larger bass bugs with a light weight rod. If I'm going to throw bigger bugs I will switch to my 8 wt.

8. Default Re: 5wt on largemouth

My two main rods are a Sage VPS 490 and a Sage DS2 590 when I am casting for Bass, I do bring my Winston 6wt as well, but I find I like the Sages more. I mainly throw balsa poppers and Diamond Hair Minnows so these rods are perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]