Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Salmon River (N.Y) informations.

Hi guys !

I plan for 2012 a fishing trip out of my country (France).

Years ago, I planed to fish on the NY's Salmon river for big browns and light steelheads, but for the moment, I never been there. This year, I'm looking for a 2012 fishing trip for Bosnia (Eastern finest grayling and browns fishing) only with dry fly and nymphs, OR the Salmon River.

I know that fishing in Bosnia or Salmon River is completly diferent.

In Bosnia, it's very similar from France fishing (small dry flies, better in may or june, fish between 10-25 inch. and 9' 5wt rods.

Salmon river (like I know) big nymph, streamers, and better in fall/winter. with biiiigggg fish!! and 9 or 10' 7or 8 wt rods.

Here my question: For browns, the only way to fish is with eggs patterns or streamers ? or also with dry flies?
    When would I go there for browns and steelheads (I'd like to try the famous SR steelies), better in summer o fall?

Thancks for the answers.

Ben

Default Re: Salmon River (N.Y) informations.

Ben - I'm not an expert steelhead fisherman, but I live in Central NY and have fished the Salmon River a few times since it is only about 40 min away. Egg patterns work as well as nymphs, streamers, etc. The best time is come is during the fall run. The fish are just coming in from the lake, heading upstream to spawn. Here are a couple of sites you can check out:

FishSalmonRiver.com - A FishUSA.com Regional Site - Complete Eastern Lake Ontario Area Fishing Information

Salmon River & Pulaski NY daily fishing reports for skamania steelhead, salmon, brown trout, by driftboat guides at Yankee Fly & Tackle Shop, Oswego County, Fly Fishing Stories & Pictures

I can also give you the names of some good fly shops in the area that may be able to give you some more specific info. Hopes this helps.

Whalensdad

Default Re: Salmon River (N.Y) informations.

Thancks Whalensdad !!

I'm looking this all day long. Seems great fishing, but crowded ! I understand that the key, is the fly presentation: at the good level.

thanks,

Ben