Cabelas TQR vs Greys GRXI+

amateurforever

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a short rod, of the line weight 3 or 4 to be used with the 4 weight reel/line I already own, for small creek fishing. I found 2 affordable options:

Cabelas TQR 5'6'' 4 weight
Greys GRXi+ 6' 3 weight

Has anybody tried them? How do they cast? Does anyone has any idea if I can overload the GRXi+ 3 weight with a 4 weight line? Can it be balanced with an Okuma 4/5 SLV reel? Is a 4 weight DT line heavy enough for the TQR one?

Any help would be appreciated
Mohsen :)

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Moshen,

Although I have never cast either rod, I currently use a 5'8" (4WT) from Bass Pro Shops: White River Classic UL. It lists for $129. It has the cork reel seat, sliding reel bands, and weighs 1.5 oz. This fun little rod is also a 3pc.

Too bad BPS discontinued the reel that matches it...2 1/2", machined, and weighs a tad over 2 oz! I was fortunate to purchase the combo last year. Try to locate this reel...it's perfect for a short rod.

If you need a shorter rod, BPS has a 3wt that stands 5ft tall!

These little rods deserve small flyreels. Orvis sells a little flyreel for short rods (Battenkill BBS 1) that should work for any short lightweight rod.

I enjoy my little BPS flyrod. It's light, fun, and can throw 40 ft to an unsuspecting bluegill or LM bass!

Cheers,

Robert

amateurforever

Reaction score
Thanks for comment Robert. It looks a very nice rod. But since I live in Italy, I realized purchasing an item from US could be problematic somehow, I mean if there's a problem and I need to return the item or sth. Besides there are high shipping rates and also since I'm not Italian, I do not know how Italian regulations for purchases from outside EU work. So finally decided to go for GRXI+, but have a look at Shakespeare trion xt as well.

Cheers,
Mohsen

Hi Moshen,

Although I have never cast either rod, I currently use a 5'8" (4WT) from Bass Pro Shops: White River Classic UL. It lists for $129. It has the cork reel seat, sliding reel bands, and weighs 1.5 oz. This fun little rod is also a 3pc.

Too bad BPS discontinued the reel that matches it...2 1/2", machined, and weighs a tad over 2 oz! I was fortunate to purchase the combo last year. Try to locate this reel...it's perfect for a short rod.

If you need a shorter rod, BPS has a 3wt that stands 5ft tall!

These little rods deserve small flyreels. Orvis sells a little flyreel for short rods (Battenkill BBS 1) that should work for any short lightweight rod.

I enjoy my little BPS flyrod. It's light, fun, and can throw 40 ft to an unsuspecting bluegill or LM bass!

Cheers,

Robert