Simms Streamtread Soles

yatahey

Reaction score
Anyone installed small machine screws for cleats instead of springing for the Simms cleats?
Thoughts?

yatahey

Reaction score
Thanks Dan, I meant to say sheet metal screws not machine screws.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Yat,

Some people do use Hex head machine screws but they should be the harder ones. The non harden edges on a soft Hex head will round over and you don't get as good of bite eventually. Even with the harder Hex Head machine screws some only harder the tips and the heads remain soft. If you buy the Orvis or Simms studs they are better over all and last longer unless you can find the harder Hex Head screws with hard heads.

Sheet metal screws also come in at least two different pitches and you need to be close to the one that the boot is made for. So if you want to experiment and see if you can come up with something that works, you might save a few bucks. Unless you are guiding on rocky rivers a pair of the studs made for the boot will last many seasons.

Frank

jcw355

Reaction score
I put the 1/2 hex head sheet metal screws in mine. I just bought the package of 100 so I could change out if I need to. I think I put 14 in each boot.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I have some Korkers I put sheet metal screws in. They didn't stay in the soles very well and the heads wore quickly. I got a pair of the Simms boots & Simms studs. They have a different thread that holds in the sole much better. I haven't had any studs come out in months of using them. And the heads haven't worn at all. The grip with these studs and soles is incredible.

indymatt

Reaction score
I am really interested in these boots! Are they exceptionally heavy?

From looking at the pictures of the cleats, they are cleats and not studs. I guess what I am trying ot say is that they are flatter allowing more surface area to bite onto the rock. To me that is where the advantage of using the Simms Hardbite Cleats will have a definite advantage over using screw heads. That is just my opinion.

jcw355

Reaction score
G4's are heavy. I don't care about that or I wouldn't have bought them. I wanted something built to last. Very nice boot with a thick sole so I could put those 1/2" hex screws in with no problems.

yatahey

Reaction score
I'm finding from my researching and comments that Frank's point about using case hardened steel is the key to this. Chota makes a case hardened cleat that has a hex head that is cut into two halfmoon shapes. They sell for $7 as opposed to the Simms HardBites @ $25 or the Star shaped cleats @ $45.

PDQ5Oh, what size screw did you use #6?

Bigfly

Reaction score
Yatahey, I inquired at Simms about their new star shaped studs. Major back order.
Rep, suggested I "bite the bullet", at 45.00 they must be good. If you look closely at the hex ones you see small hardened steel beads welded into the top. Much higher mileage than regular hex. I like the Freestone model for my own/clients use. Lite/durable.
Just got a pair of Rivershed boots, let the testing begin !!!!
Having seen the damage felt carried invasives can do, I'm glad to see felt go.
Stream tread works pretty well on clean granite, but studs needed for slime.
I use aqua seal on any exposed stitching, just toughen up the boots some more.

Jim

indymatt

Reaction score
What about these? Not sure if they are hardened, but someone on another site suggested them:

Products

Bigfly the freestones are what I am seriously looking at purchasing!

yatahey

Reaction score
Bigfly and Indymatt,
I bought the Freestones. They fit better than the last several pair of hiking boots I've purchased. I have a wide foot at the ball and narrow at the heel. Kinda tough to find a good fitting shoe of any kind.
Bigfly,
Simms is a great company but their "back order" stunts are pretty annoying. I tried to find the Freestone waders in a small and nobody local had them. Simms said they would not ship any till mid August. Arrrrgh.
I found a pair online at Front Range Anglers in Boulder and ordered them. They were shipped for free and arrived at my door in less than 24 hours. I highly recommend Front Range Anglers for excellent customer service. They also followed up with email to ask about my satisfaction. Thumbs up to them.
As far as the Star studs go $45 is way over the top price wise. That is just gouging.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Here is another option from Grip Studs. They come in two sizes. The longer size would give more penetration into thick moss. They are not as cheap as sheet metal screws and you need a tool to install them.

Frank

JoJer

Reaction score
][/IMG]Here's my lo-buck approach:
[/IMG]
Here are the old ones I'm replacing they have five or six years on them, including duck hunting.
[/IMG]

FISHN50

Reaction score
What do you guys use when you get in a driftboat. I know the studs mess up a floor. We had put a new floor in the cabin & some A-hole walked into the john with studs on & did a job on it. I'm thinking of getting a large pair of booties or something for using on boats or for when you have to make that run from the car to the john. Just something to put over the wading boots. A few rivers I fish you can drive from pool to pool or in some cases different rivers & I don't like to drive with the studs on so I usually have to take the boots off & drive with a pair of Crocks on over the waders.
BTW I started carrying a scrub brush in the wader bag to brush off the gravel etc. from the boots before I put them in the bag. Also I learned to unroll my waders between trips & make sure they dry out on the inside also. I had left a pair rolled up in the car for a few wks. & when I went to put them on whew.......

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I'm finding from my researching and comments that Frank's point about using case hardened steel is the key to this. Chota makes a case hardened cleat that has a hex head that is cut into two halfmoon shapes. They sell for $7 as opposed to the Simms HardBites @ $25 or the Star shaped cleats @ $45.

PDQ5Oh, what size screw did you use #6?
I'd say the screws probably were #6 or 8. They had a 1/4" head. They were nothing more than unhardened self-drillers.

Someone asked about the weight of the Simms boots. I'm not sure the particular name of the ones I got, but they were $140. They were the lightest of the Simms boots and the shop had all models available. I'm very happy with them though I must say the Korkers are more comfortable when walking any distance. The Simms grip slippery rocks better. I think due mostly to the better studs.