What's the strangest thing you've seen while out fishing?

bow addict

Reaction score
I bet there are some great stories out there about strange things that you've run into while out on the water.

When I was a teenager we used to hike into this little mountain lake in N. California. One day I was there with my dad and two younger brothers. I was in a float tube in the middle and my dad and brothers were on the bank when a tree fell 50 yards into the woods directly behind my youngest brother. His eyes got about as big as dinner plates and he ran straight into the lake up to his waist. The rest of us all got a pretty good laugh out of it as he cleaned out his trousers.

FISHN50

Reaction score
A buddy & me were fishing from a canoe when a dragonfly landed on his nose. He panicked & went to swat it off & knocked his glasses over the side into the water. In a rush he jumped over the side of the canoe (capsizing it)
head first & ended up head first in the bottom muck. The water was only about 2 ft. deep. We gathered up our stuff (after I stopped laughing) & he did find his glasses after sifting thru the muck. He won't fish from my canoe anymore. Maybe it's because everytime I see him I swat my nose to remind him.

Neil

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just the other day I had a 4' shark chase some bait up on to the sandbar where I was fishing. In just inches of water.
Freaked me out :eek:

mikel

Reaction score
1. 1974, Lake Isabella, Ca...guy fishing power bait gets a hit, sets the hook and watches as a pelican erupts from the water with his hook in the corner of his beak. This guy tried to break off the bird, but ended up reeling him in. That bird kicked his a$$ when he got close enough. I felt bad for the bird, but couldn't stop laughing.

2. Huntington Lake, Ca about 4-5 years ago....A massive thunderstorm upstream caused a flash flood on the feeder stream. My wife and I watched as the flood tore out MANY full sized pines and washed a huge log jam into the lake. There was a propane tank ripped off a cabin upstream that was spewing propane, spinning in the water for over an hour in the middle of the log jam. Pretty scary stuff. Upstream there was a car washed into the creek from a campsite.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Last season while walking a little stream that had spawning kokanee up in it, I spied a western gull "dancing" in the shallows.
Wings out, he was doing a silly circular side-step thing.
Looking closer, I saw something barely break the surface, looked pointed.
Turned out a big cray had taken posession of a dead fish and was standing his ground.
Mine, mine, mine.....

o mykiss

Reaction score
long time ago i was fishing in a secluded (or so i thought) stretch of the blackfoot river in montana. it was late june. about 70 degrees out. i was high stick nymphing because there wasn't much action on the surface. got into a handful of 12-16" rainbows and cutthroats. and LOTS of whitefish.... it was a blast. anyway, i decided to take a break... cracked open a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon..... was walking along the shore when i heard voices... i emerged from some thick brush onto a sandy beach and there were 5 women sunbathing....NUDE. beer shot out my nose.... they noticed me and nonchalantly waved. i waved back and slowly stepped back into the brush.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

ps. they were pretty too.

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

pss. i was double-rigged btw.... bead-head flash back pheasant tail and.... um.... i forgot.... some other nympho... i mean nymph....

troutslayer

Reaction score
Saw some deer crossing downstream and moved up on my side of the river. A little while later I hear some commotion in the thick brush behind me and figure it's the deer and don't pay a lot of attention to it. Brush and trees were really thick. I kept hearing it so I finally turned to look and here comes this huge black bear coming down to the water! It was about 20 yards from me and coming. I tried to get my camera out of my vest but he kept coming so I yelled and fell backwards into the water and he retreated up the hill somewhere. Don't know hwere he went and didn't care as long as it wasn't next to me!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great idea for a thread...great stories.Unfortunately I can't tell you here what's the strangest thing I've seen while fishing:eek::icon_redf:D
it'll be censored:p

FlyBum

Reaction score
Last year while fishing the Upper Sac my adult son and I ran into a fully naked couple all tangled up together.

jamieof

Reaction score
A few nights ago I was at the head of the pond close to my house, close to what I call the "Beaver Condo" (two huts together).

Water was like a mirror and casting was great with the fly landing nicely nearly every cast, and ripples from trout feeding all over the place. This one cast, just as the fly hit the water, this huge head emerges from the water right where the fly landed. My heart stopped and my first thought was "I don't know what the **** that is but do I really want to try to catch it?"

Turns out it was one of the beavers had surfaced. Seriously scared the beejeezuz out of me.

Jamie

ncflyboy

Reaction score
1. I witnessed the natural death of a whitetail deer while fishing from a canoe about 100 yds away...deer suffered from blue tongue disease and decided to cool off in the lake I was fishing in.

2. I had a beaver follow the canoe very close behind me. The beaver actually splashed water on me while it dove.

3. I saw two beavers dive at the same time...side by side

4. I had a large catfish rub the front of both legs while it swam by...I was wading in 2 feet of water! If I wasn't fishing, I would've grabbed it!

5. I was hit on by a woman floating by me in a paddleboat...and we went out to eat after the park closed.

6. While I was waterskiing, I waved to a bunch of church folks getting baptized at the local lake.

7. I saw 2 big snapping turtles getting it on in the shallow end of the pond.

8. I saw a big snapping turtle swim parallel to the shore...about 18 inches from me while I was casting from the shore. That turtle measured about 30" from nose to tail.

9. I saw 2 objects pass near the constellation Orion...I was salmon fishing one night, and those objects could be seen for one minute, traveling across the night sky...no sound, and they were way up there!

10. I've seen LM bass yawn at the local pond I've fished.

Cheers,

Robert

Jimmie

Reaction score
Last summer at a lake above Mammoth I saw a Black Bear cause all of the bank fishermen to scramble up the hill while he walked along the shore eating fish off their stringers. It was like his own private buffet. After he left the guys came back and held up their stringers. The only thing left were the heads, and lots of stories for the families.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just the other day, a woman on a remote beach where I was fishing got up, walked 20 feet back from her blanket, squatted and took a leak.
Right in front of me ! :eek:
Well, to the left and behind actually, but still in plan sight. :eek:

littledavid123

Reaction score
I was tied off to a tree top about 50' from shore when a woman walks out of the brush with her shirt unbuttoned all the way down. She walks behind a cedar tree for a moment and then walks back out to the shore with no shirt or bra on, looks up at me, smiles and slips back into the brush and disappears.

Dave

r reese

Reaction score
cought a small stocker rainbow below a tailwater and a blue herring flew over and picked it up and took off fly flyline and trout all going with the bird till i jerked it out of its mouth could not believe it R reese

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
1. 1974, Lake Isabella, Ca...guy fishing power bait gets a hit, sets the hook and watches as a pelican erupts from the water with his hook in the corner of his beak. This guy tried to break off the bird, but ended up reeling him in. That bird kicked his a$$ when he got close enough. I felt bad for the bird, but couldn't stop laughing.

A few days ago I had the misfortune to have intercepted a Pelican in flight with Clouser. It hit the stupid thing in the left wing and took it down like it had been hit with anti-aircraft fire. After it crashed in the river I trid to get it close enough to get the hook out, the whole time trying to come up with a plan that didn't involve me loosing an eye to it's beak. But the current was fast, he fought hard, and ended up breaking him off.