Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using normal Mono Line for leader?

Default Using normal Mono Line for leader?

I was wondering, other then presentation is a tapered leader critical? I was thinking the other day about how I have caught plenty of fish on 20+ lbs line, and was thinking maybe I can use heavier line as a leader. I am guessing a comment about how the taper helps unroll the line. Just think having a roll of mono could be used in a pinch and do ok.. am I thinking on the right track?
    thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries

Default Re: Using normal Mono Line for leader?

It depends on what your cast fly wise. Not so good for dries and light nymphs. It works okay for streamers and weight flies. My streamer leaders are just 3ft of 20lbs and 3ft of 12lbs. I only use tapered for dries and that is more out of convenience. I could tie my own but am too lazy!! LOL. But with light flies you need the taper to unroll right as you guessed.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I tie my own. I use ANDE mono almost exclusively. I had a post just recently that covered it, here: leaders

I googled and found some models. Got a bunch of different floro, and tied some up. I started from the models i found and then would adjust while fishing. When you make them yourself and constantly adjust you it becomes clear why you need the taper and what kind of taper you need for different situations. Then, at least for me, I would adjust and adjust till i came up with exactly what i like. Now i have quite a selection and am ready no matter the water. And there are times that a single piece of line does the trick.
    “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.”
    http://theladygreyflyfishing.blogspot.com/

What Davo said^^^. Mono is all I use for streamers. Got a spool of 8 lb with me. The intermediate sink spool that I've got already has 3' of 12 lb on the fly line.

6. Default Re: Using normal Mono Line for leader?

I've tied my own leaders, and I've purchased them. For me, I would just rather buy them and keep moving. Sounds kind of lazy I know, just works for me.

I make all my own, and alwasy have. It's just a lot easier. Spin fishing quite a bit means I have accumulated thousands and thousands of yards of line so I just use it and usually use three or four sections. I don't think I catch any fewer fish than someone who buys them. Now that's not to say I wouldn't use flouro if I ever had it, I just am too cheap to buy it so i just use mono because it's a LOT cheaper.

I make most of my own leaders, mostly furled, some twisted, and a few knotted, but different leaders have different uses. I even use just a three foot piece of monofilament, fluorocarbon, or super thin braided steel, depending upon where I'm fishing and what I'm trying to catch.

That said, you're going to hear people who claim that there's no place in fly fishing for a level leader. I beg to differ. Some heavy streamers work very well with a short, level leader of fluoro or mono.
    frus·tra·tion (frəs-ˈtrā-shən) n. Watching a nine year old with a cane pole and a tin can of worms catch his limit while you get skunked.

thanks folks, I will be posting my first fly catch, that aside todays day at the pond was fun, lots of casting practice. I did cut down a leader while running through differnt flys, I plan to tie up new tippet on the leader I cut back, so i will try some mono I have. lots to learn
    mike

Blog Entries

Mike

What is your target species and what flies are you using?
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast