Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: weird fly fishing tales

Default weird fly fishing tales

Last edited by nyadirondacks; 05-12-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: weird fly fishing tales

Yes, that can be a little un-nerving. I had something similar happen to me while fly fishing on the Poudre River a few years ago. This was mid-day and a bat landed on my fly line, I shook the line and he got upset and started hovering in front of me so I started swinging my rod at it to get it to leave but it just stayed there, I finally batted it down into the water and it floated off downriver.

Larry
    Larry

I hate to bring bad new upon you but if this just happened you had better go see a doctor. Bats are known carriers of rabies and this bat was certainly acting unusual.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I hate to bring bad new upon you but if this just happened you had better go see a doctor. Bats are known carriers of rabies and this bat was certainly acting unusual.

Dave
    +1 Better safe than foaming.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Yeah a quick doc visit isnt a bad idea.
    We have tons of them up here in AK. Little thought about because they are nocturnal.
    I have had some interesting encounters with bats, like the time one was chasing after clay targets on the trap range. Why it chased clay pidgeons is beyond me, but this one chased a bunch the "losses" nearly to the ground. I know they are chasing bugs, but I am not sure what enviromental factors made it worth while to have it out and exposing itself to shotgun blasts near nighfall.

Quote Originally Posted by nyadirondacks View Post
    So my cousin and I are fishing the Mettowee in northern NY for some rainbows and browns. Its around 9 o clock and were casting to some rising fish. My cousin says he thinks he just had a bat skim his arm. I didnt believe him until i took a step back and a bat slammed into the back of my head. the thing fell in the water and was freaking out splashing and then just took off. hands down weirdest thing to ever happen while fishing to me.
    Maybe he thought your cousin was a big juicy pink bug.