Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting the Hook???

Default Re: Setting the Hook???

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Hooks are sharp. I think I haven't been forceful enough in the "set". I have let the fish take the fly but I guess I'm not actually setting the hook.

2. Default Re: Setting the Hook???

Can human reaction time beat a trout that decides to reject a fly? I wonder if fish just hook themselves when they turn to run?

Makes me wonder after flinging my flies into the trees so many times.

This may not be good technique but it works well for me. With just the smallest twitch I set extremely fast but with a light hand.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

4. Default Re: Setting the Hook???

With dries in moving water I find just a lift down stream does it, when nymph fishing most of the time I find just a short fast down stream wrist snap is typically enough. I'm just learning to fish streamers so the truth is I don't have a clue with them yet. I've also not developed the habit of the strip set, which is quite important...its one of the things I'm trying to work on this year. Unfortunately, so far this year I do not fish as often as I like to and find I get so excited when a fish hits that nearly everything I know typically flies out the window on the first few.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

okuma Guest

And just when you ger it all down, for years in fact, you will experience a 1 for 10...like I did this weekend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12