Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Joan Wulff's DVD?

Anyone here viewed Joan Wulff's DVD Dynamics of Fly Casting?

Is it worth buying if I want to become a better caster?

2. Default Re: Joan Wulff's DVD?

I got this DVD a couple of months ago. I have not really practiced using her methods yet, but I think it will be very helpful. I would recommend it.

3. Default Re: Joan Wulff's DVD?

I have it and would highly reccomend it. I found it very informative and usefull. I review it every now and then also.

4. Default Re: Joan Wulff's DVD?

Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting
    "Absolutely the most charming fishing oriented video I have ever watched"
    Mark Bachmann

South Florida & the White Mountains of New Hampshire

Default Re: Joan Wulff's DVD?

I got it when I first took up fly fishing about 3 years ago. I think it's good for a beginner. I should watch it again to make sure I'm not picking up bad habits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I had it, and sold it here. Joan is an overhead caster, and I cast sidearm unless an overhead is the only thing that will work. There's not a lot on the DVD that you can't find on YouTube from Lefty Kreh, Mel Kreiger, etc. The only thing that I found interesting was the Oval (or Belgian) cast. Joan claims that here husband Lee Wulff invented it, but many dispute that claim. It is a useful cast in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    The only thing that I found interesting was the Oval (or Belgian) cast. Joan claims that here husband Lee Wulff invented it, but many dispute that claim. It is a useful cast in any case.
    In the book "New Fly Casting Techniques", Joan credits Lee with introducing her to the Oval Cast, but she credits the creation to Albert Godart, a Belgian Fly Casting Champion, at the French Fly Casting Tournament in 1948. She also mentions that Mel Krieger taught a variation on the theme.

I have my doubts when anyone says someone "invented" a fly casting technique... popularized, maybe... but there are just way too many people slinging line for anything to be really new. I used a continuous motion cast to throw hoppers on a light rod. I told my wife it was the "Cowboy Roll" -- a name I made up on the spot. Later I learned that it was called a Belgian cast, continuous motion cast, or oval cast and actually had a pedigree. I always thought it was the lazy mans answer to fly casting. I still use it almost all the time for wet flies and nymphs but rarely for dries...

Joan is an amazing caster and lady. I recommend it.

9. Likes flyfishusa liked this post