favorite fly box?

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
if you had to choose one box for your dies, nymphs, and streamers which one would it be? one of each, not just one. so 3 boxes

gt05254

Reaction score
LOL, and I got nuthin' but time on my hands, Rick!
I do use a Wheatley clip box for salmon wets:
[/IMG]

Bigfly

Reaction score
C&F boxes keep my hooks from rusting.
Sometimes on big water, we swim.....
Got tired of leaving boxes on the dash to dry.

Jim

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
After many, many years of fly fishing, using everything from cheap foam boxes to expensive Wheatlys, I've settled on the Scientific Anglers clear plastic, dual sided boxes. Advantages:

Clear plastic allows instant identification.
Water proof.
Built in grommet so you can tie box to vest or attach to a zinger.
Slit foam is very tidy and never wears out.

Not cheap, but will last forever. I have two Max 752's, one for small dries, one for small nymphs, plus two Classic 280's, one for large dries, and one for large nymphs/streamers.

Chris

TAT

Reaction score
Flambeau Blue Ribbon. Discovered these last year. Double sided, clear covers, vertical friction foam to grip the flies.

maccadon3000

Reaction score
Honestly, I LOVE Orvis compartment fly boxes. I love that I can change the size of the compartments, easy to see through, and rubber o ring sealed for water resistance. They're simple, don't cost much, durable, doesnt crush dries, dont worry about torn foam, etc etc

Only thing I own that's Orvis, but I own a lot of them.

PS. Just make sure not to tip them while on the stream. Hasn't happened yet, knock on wood....

Reactions: Ard

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Morrell boxes. weigh nothing
I'm with Okuma on Morrell fly boxes. They are the lightest you'll find, and they float, with a magnetic closure that can be opened one-handed. Since they're foam, it's not too difficult to tie a lanyard to them in case you drop them.

I also like the Cliff's Days Worth for my smaller nymphs and midges. One side has six magnetically-floored compartments, which work great for tiny flies, particularly on a windy day.

My third favorite box is the C&F Midge, which comes with threaders that are extremely helpful with these tiny flies.

The Scientific Anglers double-sided box is well designed, but too bulky for my vest. In fact, I've got one I've never used for that reason (but maybe if I lost some weight, it would ;)).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Traveling light as on small streams where I know exactly what to have with =

A little old Orvis clear plastic compartment box for dry flies, very small & light

Nymphs in one of those tiny cloth fold up snap wallets that Orvis gave away with their weighted nymph selection in the 90's

Streamers in a small wax cotton Battenkill wallet by the same company.

On a long trip or when traveling by boat I carry an old Timber Doodle duffel bag full of fly boxes in the truck or boat, too many to try to pick favorites.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
These are my two favorite boxes. The first one was given to me by my dad. I blame him 100% for my addiction to fly fishing. The second one I like because it floats, its practical and functional.

mrfzx

Reaction score
Several companies make the foam boxes with magnetic closure, and ripple foam interior. They float...nuff said.

likkitysplit

Reaction score
As you can see everyone has a preference and that preference has no common ground.

So I recommend you ask yourself a couple of questions and then look at everyones pictures and do some investigating on your own.

One, Are your fingers on the big side or small side. the boxes with slit foam puts the flies very close together.

Two, When your hands are cold - how well can you feel and manipulate the flies you tie on your tippet. Pick boxes that you can easily retrieve your flies from and put your flies up. Is having it tied to you a concern - else it can fall out of a pocket and be gone forever.

Three, Are the flies you fish with on the larger side or smaller side. I fish with files that range from size 20 to size 4 hooks, the midges and streamers reside in separate boxes. Soft hackles sowbugs and midges reside in an Orvis box in little bins in mixed groups - I dig around to find the one I want. You may be an organization person and want all your flies in organized rows - digging around may be unacceptable to you the style needs to fit your personality.

Four, if you are going to keep up with multiple boxes on the stream what are your size limits on carrying these boxes on stream. Where are you going to carry them. I use an over the shoulder bag that I swing to the back when not in use to hold boxes I am not using.

So look at what the pictures represent, evaluate what you want the box to do for you, go and touch the ones that interest you.

Just as a note - I hate the wheatley's with the clips and the spring doors. As you can see they look very cool and it's a very popular box. I gave mine away to kids on the river that needed some type of fly box. They were very happy and I was happy for them. But I was never going to use them again.

I like the little Flambeu's for midges - the cliffs bugger barn for buggers, and the Orvis box with spring doors, for nyphms, softhackles, sowbugs, etc. your preferences will be uniquely your own. There isn't a single perfect box.