Things about Flyfishing I'll Never Understand

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Here are a few observations I have made about flyfishing and trout. These events are taken from photos, fishing shows, and magazines.

Why do some flyfishers hold the flyrod in their mouth while posing with their catch?
I've seen places they can rest their gear that won't damage it.

Why do some people refuse to remove a fish from the water?

Why do some people struggle to unhook a fish swimming around in a net? They refuse to grab the fish to remove the hook.

Why do people allow a trout to lay on top of their hands, never consider the possibility that the fish may flop and hit the rocks below?

I saw where a guide told the client not to touch the fish and not to remove the fish from the water. Wait a minute...it's not the guide's fish.

I really don't get it. We enter the territory the fish live in. We step on fish eggs. We intentionally deceive fish by throwing manufactured food at them. We impale them with a sharpened piece of wire. We drag them back to us, anticipating a struggle on the fish's end. We trap them in a fish net where they have little chance to escape. It is only after we capture our intended prey that we show the greatest acts of kindness? I never see the baitcast, spinning, or spincast crowd behave this way...catching bass, muskies, catfish, salmon, walleyes, etc.

There have been many times, while unhooking certain fish (warmouths, bluegills, and LM bass) that the fish erractically shakes it's head while I'm unhooking it. The fish only shakes it's head while I am unhooking it. Some people believe that fish feel no pain. I am convinced that fish do feel pain, based on these experiences.

I have a Jewish friend, and he tells me of laws and rules that govern their fishing behavior according to his faith.

I, like many others have caught hundreds, if not thousands of fish. I respect the planet we live on, and I respect the natural resources that God provides for us. There have been some periods of my life, after seeing/feeling a fish shaking while I remove the hook...that almost bother me to the point of giving my gear away and doing something else.

I used to hunt small game. I enjoyed the whole experience, but the final act of killing the animal was the part that finally bothered me. Nowadays, I'll bring a pair of binocs and a squirrel call.

Cheers,

Robert

billydafish

Reaction score
Q) Why do some flyfishers hold the flyrod in their mouth while posing with their catch?

A) Looks cool and they probably don't care about their grip. I never do it though cause I got a germ thing with putting a dirty rod in my mouth.

Q) Why do some people refuse to remove a fish from the water? Why do some people struggle to unhook a fish swimming around in a net? They refuse to grab the fish to remove the hook.

A) Cause it is easier on the fish. Dry handing a fish out of water can kill it because it causes disease to grow on the fish's scales.

Q) Why do people allow a trout to lay on top of their hands, never consider the possibility that the fish may flop and hit the rocks below?

A) They're worried about squeezing the fish or getting a hand in the gill (again, deadly).

Hope this helps with a few of those questions. Most of them are just people being worried about hurting the fish. The #1 thing is to never touch the gills or dry hand a fish. Obviously squeezing it is bad too (they have small bones) but it's just one of those things where we're all best off if we do as little unintentional killing as possible.

Cheers.

bigcat1967

Reaction score
First post here - new here.

I wanna thank ncflyboy for the valuable info - nice post.

Looking forward talking to you guys.

:)

littledavid123

Reaction score
Robert

For many, fishing is a sport that allows an escape from the masses they must endure in order to provide for the family and taking caution with the handling of fish ensures they will be there tomorrow.

For others it is still a vital means of providing subsistence for their family, both are honorable and deserve my admiration. But people who keep everything they catch until the end of the day and then decide they don't want to clean them :mad:

Dave

ncflyboy

Reaction score
It may be me, but it seems that trout are viewed by some to be "hallowed." I've caught rainbow trout and I hold them in the same respect as the bass, pike, bluegill, or any other fish I catch. A shiner has a soft body, similar to a trout.

I wet my hands prior to handling any fish...it protects the slime, and I'm not too cool about smelling like a big fish!

Are trout fragile? They escape the clutches of a hungry otter. Eagles and osprey grab them and the trout slip away. Muskies and pike grab them and trout get away.

Nature is rough. Trout have to be tough to survive.

Cheers,

Robert

maccadon3000

Reaction score
I guess my answer would be two part.

First, it is best to handle the fish as little as possible because your hand, even when wet but especially dry, removes the fish's protective slime. So if you're able to not handle a fish and remove the hook, especially on trout, which can be considered a "fragile" species, all the better.

Second, as far as the egg trouncing and hooking/fighting question yet still handle the fish gently, I'm not for deforestation. I do have wood in my house, have a wood table, a wooden dresser etc. But just because I partook in that, doesn't mean I'm going to amplify the problem by going out and cutting down a redwood. If that makes any sense.....

I'm not a member of PETA, but the sport we have taken up is probably not the best thing for the natural environment. But I love the sport, so I will not quit doing it. I will also try to make my footprint as small as possible while doing it. If that means that I don't fish in sweltering heat so I don't stress fish, I make sure that I keep all my clippings of mono, or I try not to handle a fish if I don't have to, that is what I will try my best to do.

FlyBum

Reaction score
I'm not a member of PETA
I am a member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals.

I have no moral issues with catching fish. I never even consider whether I am causing them pain. My reason's for fishing and doing everything I can when handling those I catch with care in the hope of not killing them are purely selfish. I fly fish, because I love the challenge, it makes me feel good, and it allows me to get away from everything and forget everything else. I handle them with care so that hopefully they will be their next time for my pleasure. I also catch fish, because I love eating fish although I seldom eat fresh water fish so the vast majority of time I release all fresh water fish.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
So if you're able to not handle a fish and remove the hook, especially on trout, which can be considered a "fragile" species, all the better.
How can a fish be considered "fragile" that encounters predators, lives naturally in many places, and exists wonderfully in their natural environment?

I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that barges travel. I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that muskies, catfish, and carp share. I've caught the same trout while targeting smallmouth bass (in the same water) in the middle of the summer...and they seemed fine.

Man's greatest impact to trout would be pollution. Trout have done a fantastic job before people started changing their environment.

If trout are considered "fragile", then why do we bother with them? There are plenty of other fish to pursue.

Cheers,

Robert

maccadon3000

Reaction score
How can a fish be considered "fragile" that encounters predators, lives naturally in many places, and exists wonderfully in their natural environment?

I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that barges travel. I've caught rainbow trout in the same waters that muskies, catfish, and carp share. I've caught the same trout while targeting smallmouth bass (in the same water) in the middle of the summer...and they seemed fine.

Man's greatest impact to trout would be pollution. Trout have done a fantastic job before people started changing their environment.

If trout are considered "fragile", then why do we bother with them? There are plenty of other fish to pursue.

Cheers,

Robert
While they may inhabit the waters with other natural predators or large ships, it doesn't mean they are not a fragile animal. Just because a hummingbird shares the same sky as a golden eagle, doesnt mean that its not a fragile animal. I've never handled a hummingbird, but i assume their wings are delicate and could be injured easily, in effect killing them if handled improperly A jellyfish is in the same waters as a bull shark and barracuda, but can easily collapse on itself and die The fact of the matter is that trout, after being played, can be very susceptible to dying after we release them, even if we do our best to make sure they swim away. Bass, bluegill etc are a much more hardy fish. They can be brought in, literally tossed back in the water and swim right off. If you played a trout to the net, could tell it was tired, took your picture etc. And literally threw the fish in the water, chances are good that fish may not make it. Someone once told me, knowing trout cant breathe out of the water, when we hold up the fish for our pic to put on the office wall, try to hold your breathe as long as you have the fish out of the water, because thats what it is doing. Not to mention it is doing it after jogging two miles. Why stress the fish more by taking it out of the water? So knowing that, I want to do everything in my power to protect the animal so that it didn't lose it's life for my hobbie. I know ive already caused it harm, because im not going to give up something i love to do, so ill try to mnimize the harm i do to it. Just a personal decision.

As far as why trout and not other species, I'm an equal opportunity angler:D. I like to fish for anything with fins. The reason I don't stop targeting trout due to their fragility is it takes me to some beautiful places that I enjoy fishing. And I like the look of trout. I think wild trout are beautiful fish. I guess that's why.

oarfish

Reaction score
I am a member of PETA-People Eating Tasty Animals.

I have no moral issues with catching fish. I never even consider whether I am causing them pain. My reason's for fishing and doing everything I can when handling those I catch with care in the hope of not killing them are purely selfish. I fly fish, because I love the challenge, it makes me feel good, and it allows me to get away from everything and forget everything else. I handle them with care so that hopefully they will be their next time for my pleasure. I also catch fish, because I love eating fish although I seldom eat fresh water fish so the vast majority of time I release all fresh water fish.
Thats perfect.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Ard,

Thank you for sharing the view from the guide's perspective. I have never met a guide, so your post was educational.

I have heard stories where some guides believe they are entitled to have control over certain sections of public water. I see these people as nothing more than "fish hogs" and try to keep the fishing for themselves and their clients. I have as much respect for these guides as I do for the jet skiers and wakeboarders that travel within 100 ft of me. The folks in the bass boats are far more courteous.

Cheers,

Robert

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
Ard,

Thank you for sharing the view from the guide's perspective. I have never met a guide, so your post was educational.

I have heard stories where some guides believe they are entitled to have control over certain sections of public water. I see these people as nothing more than "fish hogs" and try to keep the fishing for themselves and their clients. I have as much respect for these guides as I do for the jet skiers and wakeboarders that travel within 100 ft of me. The folks in the bass boats are far more courteous.

Cheers,

Robert
a couple of the guides here i bump into all the time in the parking lot and theyll give me good feedback about how the day was. but id say 80-90% of the ones i ask about what flies worked or how it was (i usually ask anyone/everyone in the parkinglot) i get "its alright i used a little bit of everthing" then they hurry off. wtf is wrong with these guys? why does it matter if they help me figure out whats working? its not like im asking for their spots, rigs, and some flies. another thing they do here is push you out of your spot. they will get about 20ft away from you and slowly creep till they are about 5ft away then have their client cast where your trying to cast:eek: its annoying and i know one of these days im gonna loose it, but if that guide is desperate enough for that spot then whatever ill pick my line out of the water and go find some more fish. i dont mind sharing a spot or giving it up if you ask me, but just moving in and pushing me out? they can get ****ed they fished this stream probably for 5-10 years min. ive fished it for 3 months they should be the ones going to a new spot

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Mac,

There isn't a fish out there worth fighting over. You never really know how some people will react when confronted.

If possible, seek permission to fish private water. I have had similar situations as yours, and I'm grateful I can visit places that are not available to the general public.

In the slow fishing periods, scout for new waters.

I hope you are able to obtain permission to fish private water.

Cheers,

Robert

littledavid123

Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder what is the purpose of this post? It appears to be a constant ever so slight attempt to stir the pot. :confused:

Dave

ncflyboy

Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder what is the purpose of this post? It appears to be a constant ever so slight attempt to stir the pot. :confused:

Dave
Hi Dave,

I'm just trying to understand the folks that chase trout on flygear. The trout crowd has their way of doing things I've never seen the bass, pike, catfish, or panfish crowd do.

Cheers,

Robert

mojo

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I'm just trying to understand the folks that chase trout on flygear. The trout crowd has their way of doing things I've never seen the bass, pike, catfish, or panfish crowd do.

Cheers,

Robert
What's there to understand?
Fly fishing for bass, pike, catfish and panfish came way long after trout were targeted. Do some reading. Go to your library and check out fly fishing books. 90% are written about trout. It goes back to the 1600's. Serious fly fishing for bass and other warmwater species started in our lifetime.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Mojo,

I ask these questions because the books failed to address these points. I've even ventured at library books dated from the 1930's and 1940's.

I've seen chapters dedicated to chasing bass with a flyrod...from the 1950's. There were hardcore bass anglers armed with a flyrod, but not many.

It seems to me that there is political correctness in today's flyfishing....it's taboo to "lip" a trout, carry a creel, and the like. Phoey...it's still fishing!

I ask because there are people here who chase trout and may have the answers. Life is a learning process and I plan to keep on learning!

Cheers,

Robert