the search for the perfect fly rod???

ffffg

Reaction score
Being winter here there is not a whole lot to do here in montana. cabin fever abounds and im not immune.. ................ i dont ice fish any more becouse im primarily catch and release and for some reason ice fishing doenst work for me there............................. my fly fishing time is basicly spent talking to other anglers about past and future ventures, and trying out rods for accuracy, at home and in fly shops .. i cant do much mending or lifting off the water experiments at this time. there are many other duties of a good fly rod that i cant do now.. but im still stuck with accuracy and presentation quality and this is a good time to do it....................... calm days, windy days and with a light on my front porch i can cast in the dark after walking the dog.. i could bore you with statistics that ive gathered that mean little to other casters, so ill just give some observasions for your comments.. id like to know if im getting off track with my analisis of what some interesting data points to............................... im finding that rod lenght (with Cliffs help) is extreemly important to accuracy when dealing with different weight of fly rods.. i really like the z axis 6wt 2 pc, its accuracy and casting weight is phenominal in a 9 foot rod for me.. distance is very good, and accuracy at 65 feet is not a problem for me with rio mainstreem, which is a beginners line with a short head.. this helps beginners to cast short distances, which is probably a weak point on most strong rods.. this gives the rod some all around preformance (speaking of accuracy) in my opinion................ it appears as the rod weight goes down , the rod length must me shortened to some extent depending on rod stiffness, for accuracy.. now my problem child.. the 5 weight.. just doesnt want to do a good job of accuracy in a 9 foot rod................. i had good succes at a fly shop in bozemen thursday with a fli 5 wt 8 foot 6 inch rod.. this had a good enough power to roll over a tight loop and hit the mark quite accuratly.. different days and different conditions defintly vary results..................... but interesting enough the hands down winner is a 5 weight 8 foot grigg with wf wonderline.. its accuracy and casting handeling beat all the rods in the 5 weight group quite badly.. even a 8foot 4 weight silver label would make the (5wt)ds2 9 ft and b2x 9foot and the b2x 8 1/2 foot, and a z axis 9 foot look innaccurate at 35 feet.......................when you add in presentation quality the 4w 8 foot really shines... it appears that the 9 foot 5 weight is a compromise for mending, line pickup, fish fighting, casting accuracy, presentation and other duties.. my instinks are telling me the 5wt 9 foot rod is an all round rod but "MASTER" of few of the fishing needs............................ please set me strait on this.. i admidt im not a great caster, it is abvious that an expert caster could make the 9foot 5wt work for accuracy and presentation, while getting the mending and pickup capabilities.. from what i see out there, trying different rods with other guys, and at fly shops,there are some experts, but not most fishermen are experts.................... i would also like to note that the 5 weight is very difficult to give a delicate presentation.. compared to a 4wt 8 foot silver label orvis, the 5 weights lack a dual quality of precise and delicate presentation (at 35 feet).. i can't for the life of me see almost any fly at 35 feet so why all the fuss of a 9 foot 5 weight?.. also please give your favorite 5wt combos that work well for you?... thanks, dave..

BigCliff

Reaction score
I think another issue that is coming into play is trying to use the same casting stroke for different rods. It sounds like you have already figured out how a 8' 4wt needs to be cast differently from a 9' fast action 6wt, but the 9' 5wts need a different casting stroke as well. The goal is, if you insist on having a 9' 5wt, is to find one that you can adjust your casting stroke to cast accurately. A 5wt will never offer a presentation quite as delicate as a 4wt, but you should be able to achieve the same delicacy with a 5wt as you do with a 6wt.

Joni

Reaction score
I agree totally with Cliff on this one with maybe one exception. The Superfine's.
My Far and fine cast as delicate as any four weight, but it is a one of a kind rod.
As I have said in the past, I have a tip flex T3 in a six weight and I recently purchased the 7.5 Mid-Flex Zero in a six weight. The Zero Gravity is an effortless rod to cast and I think I made a good choice in going with the mid-flex. The T3 has it's place when casting big flies, very heavy line, and straight in the wind, but my Zero is a great all around rod. My other six weight is an 8 foot McFarland glass which is more for the dries and easy hook setting on stillwater.
I am also discovering that every rod out there has it's preference to line. I am a WF fan but do have the Triangle Taper and the DT. Both those lines work real well on a couple of rods I own, but my WF works on all.
If only it was simple. LOL
I go with Orvis all the way for obvious reasons, and it all works very well together.

bigspencer

Reaction score
ffffg Dave,
I really think you could be short-changing the greatness and versatility of #5 weights. The right rod for you IS out there...somewhere;-)
Compared to rods of decades ago...the materials & designs of today are terrific and a LOT of fun...especially for those of us who don't pump free-weights in the gym on a daily basis.
Use the right tools for each particular situation and you'll become a happier camper.

Have a great 2018 season,

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Maybe part of the fun is in seeking the perfect fly rod, instead of the finding.

Otherwise, these down months when the fishing ain’t too great wouldn’t offer as much challenge.

Or not.

Don

kevind62

Reaction score
Had a colleague once who was divorced and loved to chase women once he was single. Asked him once, Me, "Scooter, why do you love chasing women so much instead of catching them?", Scooter, "Because once you catch them it ain't fun anymore." :D

Maybe part of the fun is in seeking the perfect fly rod, instead of the finding.
Don

AzTrouter

Reaction score
IMO the 'Perfect Fly Rod' is the one in hand when the fish are willing :cool:

I spend more time going over maps than tackle catalogs theses days, looking for the next out of the way honey hole. Google Earth is my new best fishing bro haha.....my perfect rod right now is a fished like I stole it Redington Classic Trout 8'6" 3wt. I impulse bought on clearance for $107. Hard to imagine how many fish it's put to net at this point. Spring came early in our mountains and I've been getting at least 3 days a week since i could get my Jeep up there. The month of Dec on a 280 mile private Grand Canyon raftin/fishing trip and 8 days on the Juan in March. The CT was the only rod I took. Looks like in May there will be a few days on the Frying Pan, my first time. A friend of my son was born and raised there and his dad has been described as a fly fishing fanatic, I like fishing with fanatics haha

kevind62

Reaction score
This is way more complex than it should be. For me, the whole fishing experience should be simple. This makes it sound too much like work and a job for me. Too much complexity. 8'6"? or 9'? 5wt? 4wt? or 6wt? What about a 10'? What if I put a 2wt reel on a 10' 4wt with 3wt line and 15' leader? What about using a 4 pc 10' and removing one of the middle sections? Which section? Do I want it really stiff at the butt and lots of action in the upper 2/3's or do I want it really stiff in the lower 2/3's and lots of action at the tip??? What if I turned my WF line backwards????

Granted, since I love fly fishing so much, it would be a job I like and enjoy. But I have a job I like and enjoy now. I travel around the world for free. See all kinds of cool places. Get to fish anywhere I want. It's always busy, stimulating, and challenging, keeping the mind sharp. I get frequent flier miles out the yang-yang. Fly first class everywhere I go. Salary is equivalent of 18 months pay but I only have to work 6 months. I get 6 months off with pay and since I don't have to use my 10 weeks of accrued vacation time and the company buys it back from me at the end of the year in one lump sum. And not to forget my annual bonus and pay raise. What's not to love?? But even with all of these perks I can't wait to retire. I'm looking forward to it! I don't want to look at fishing in that same way.

I want my fishing experience to be peaceful, rewarding, and relaxing. The rewards will vary with the day. Taking in the beauty of God's creation. Making new friends. Catching that "one" fish some day. A glass of nice single malt scotch and watching the sun set. Even my fly tying is kept mostly simple. Not that I don't enjoy and envy the many beautiful and complex flies our member post. But the vast majority of the fish I've caught have been on the simplest of flies.

I don't want to have to build another Excel spreadsheet with a myriad of formulas and calculations to put in data and figure out what rod & reel set up and line weight I'll need for the day. If I know exactly what I'm going for that day I'll open my closet and grab my 8'6" 3wt and box of dries, or my 10' 8wt and box of streamers and hit the road. If not sure exactly what I want to do for the day I'll grab my 9' 5wt, box of nymphs, small box of dries and small box of streamers and off I go. I try not to put too much thought in to it.

hambone111

Reaction score
This is way more complex than it should be. For me, the whole fishing experience should be simple. This makes it sound too much like work and a job for me. Too much complexity. 8'6"? or 9'? 5wt? 4wt? or 6wt? What about a 10'? What if I put a 2wt reel on a 10' 4wt with 3wt line and 15' leader? What about using a 4 pc 10' and removing one of the middle sections? Which section? Do I want it really stiff at the butt and lots of action in the upper 2/3's or do I want it really stiff in the lower 2/3's and lots of action at the tip??? What if I turned my WF line backwards????

Granted, since I love fly fishing so much, it would be a job I like and enjoy. But I have a job I like and enjoy now. I travel around the world for free. See all kinds of cool places. Get to fish anywhere I want. It's always busy, stimulating, and challenging, keeping the mind sharp. I get frequent flier miles out the yang-yang. Fly first class everywhere I go. Salary is equivalent of 18 months pay but I only have to work 6 months. I get 6 months off with pay and since I don't have to use my 10 weeks of accrued vacation time and the company buys it back from me at the end of the year in one lump sum. And not to forget my annual bonus and pay raise. What's not to love?? But even with all of these perks I can't wait to retire. I'm looking forward to it! I don't want to look at fishing in that same way.

I want my fishing experience to be peaceful, rewarding, and relaxing. The rewards will vary with the day. Taking in the beauty of God's creation. Making new friends. Catching that "one" fish some day. A glass of nice single malt scotch and watching the sun set. Even my fly tying is kept mostly simple. Not that I don't enjoy and envy the many beautiful and complex flies our member post. But the vast majority of the fish I've caught have been on the simplest of flies.

I don't want to have to build another Excel spreadsheet with a myriad of formulas and calculations to put in data and figure out what rod & reel set up and line weight I'll need for the day. If I know exactly what I'm going for that day I'll open my closet and grab my 8'6" 3wt and box of dries, or my 10' 8wt and box of streamers and hit the road. If not sure exactly what I want to do for the day I'll grab my 9' 5wt, box of nymphs, small box of dries and small box of streamers and off I go. I try not to put too much thought in to it.
I gotta agree with Kevin on this one.

i kinda went down the rabbit hole over the last year on getting a little gear obsessed. in the past ive never had the options of different lines and different rods. i did everything with a 5wt, everything. then about 3 weeks ago on a lark i pulled out my Old Orvis 5wt from the closet and took it out. It was an absolutely delightful day of fishing. using a rod that i had fished with for near 15 years, delightful casting, no over thinking line choices, wondering if the rod i was holding would be casting better with a different line or on a bigger river, just old familiarity and relaxation .

i have since returned the 5wt back to use and put a couple of rods in the closet.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
....some fish going home and some going back with the 'Perfect Rod' that day haha

In all seriousness, even though I've really enjoyed the 8'6" CT for leaving in the Jeep and beating around, my over all favorite, western states rod is a 10' 4wt Clearwater with a vintage Mid Arbor III

4wt for lightish line presentation, 10' for reach and spine to turn over indicator rigs, strip streamers, high stick and Euro nymphing, it really does give a different fishing experience for me.

....for me haha

Attachments