Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a Fly Rod that you wouldn't part with?

Default Re: Is there a Fly Rod that you wouldn't part with?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    How much do you want for that sweet Tom Morgan rod???
    Frank, Thanks for asking, but the Tom Morgan 7'9" 3 wt. falls into the sentimental keepers category, along with my 7'1" Hawthorn (Montgomery Ward) solid glass rod; the first fly rod I ever had.

J-P, I see a yellow card on the field, somewhere............... I can't recall ever asking about that trade......but I do like your Quarrow - alot!

Pocono

Okay...I just read your first post again. It looks like your "Keepers" are performance keepers, and Sentimental Keepers comfort you during the long winter months.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by mac. View Post
    a question for all you, how often do you use these rods? i know when i have a snowboard that means something to me i ride it 1-2 times a season where my other 4 boards i ride 20-30 time each a season. im afraid ill break the one that means something to me and when i have a rod i know ill be afraid id break that too and never use it.
    I use my Meiser more than any other rod I own as well.

I would not give up my winston b2x 4 wt and 6 wt. But when I go for nymphing, my go to rod has been greys streams flex 10 foot 4 wt. I have been catching big fish with this and I am planning to add 10 foot 3 wt streamflex.

Quote Originally Posted by mac. View Post
    a question for all you, how often do you use these rods? i know when i have a snowboard that means something to me i ride it 1-2 times a season where my other 4 boards i ride 20-30 time each a season. im afraid ill break the one that means something to me and when i have a rod i know ill be afraid id break that too and never use it.
    My old Fenwick is watered twice a week maybe more if my body lets me, in warm water. The 8wt Sage three to four times a month in the surf, in fall and winter its in the river three times a week when the silvers and steelhead run.

Rick

6w BIIx, 5w LT, Far and Fine 5w 7'9", Far and Fine 4w One Ounce, Battenkill 4w bamboo, McFarland Parabolic 5w, McFarland GTX, Lami Honey 2pc 4w.
    Love all those rods. Different strokes for different fish and conditions. And I'll not part with the blank I have coming either.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    My 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser. In fact when I die, I want them to put it in the box with me.
    Is it going to be broken down or you having a 16' coffin built?
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Post Re: Is there a Fly Rod that you wouldn't part with?

My 5'8" 4wt. I enjoy the challenges of casting a shorter flyrod.

Cheers,

Robert

Blog Entries

I'll weigh in from the broke grad student position for now! The rods I wouldn't part with are my only two rods, my shimano scimitar cheater stick and my new Allen Xa 9' 8wt which will be arriving in the mail once they are released! I won't part with them because they're all I've got for now!

*Beware: Thread Hijacking Alert* However, all this talk of rods built up from blanks has me wanting to built a 12 wt tarpon rod. I was investigating blanks the other day, how difficult is the process of building your own rod up from a blank for those that have done it? Gary, your comment that you built yours while in grad school makes it seem a little less scary.

I have a collection of nice bamboo, but there is only one rod I wouldn't part with. My Helios 9' 5wt...the only fly rod in my possession not made of boo.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
    I have a collection of nice bamboo, but there is only one rod I wouldn't part with. My Helios 9' 5wt...the only fly rod in my possession not made of boo.

Dave
    Boy, that's a 180!
    Most have graphite rods and maybe one bamboo.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast