Is there a Fly Rod that you wouldn't part with?

Pocono

Reaction score
We've had some recent threads talking about high-end and low-end gear, and probably everything in between. As I was thinking more about that topic, I started to slice it in a different direction and began to focus on the rods that I really like; regardless of price or manufacturer. Those are the rods that I wouldn't give up. It's a short list; here are my "keeper" rods:

1. Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. (ideal for native Brookies in small freestone streams)
2. Sage Z-axis 9'0" 5 wt. (the best all-around rod that I've ever fished)
3. Sage TCX 9'0" 7 wt. (level lined, overlined for Bones on the windy flats or underlined for a sleepy Smallmouth fisherman, this is one nice stick)
4. Scott S4S 9'0" 9 wt. (a new rod for me, but it looks like love at first bite: this one shoots more line than you carry in the air on your backcast; great for quick, accurate deliveries of prarie dog-sized flies in coldwater salt fishing conditions)

That's it for me. The rest; outside of the sentimental keepers, could all go........if they really had to..... ;)

What are your keeper rods; the ones that you simply wouldn't give up?

Pocono

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'll play

First and foremost would be my Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt that my father built for me in 1972. It was a good rod then and still is. For sentimental reasons it will always be my favorite.

number 2, my late 1950s Phillipson Eponite Royal 8' for a HDH, a top of the line vintage.
Nice looking if slightly heavy. Casts great

the rod that I probably use the most is a home rolled PacBay Rainforest 9', 8wt.
Graphite spinning reel reelseat, bottlecork fighting butt. It might not be much to look at, but it's very light weight and a great rod for a $60 investment

There's a couple of others, but I could live with those 3

axle27

Reaction score
Sheesh, that's tough. If I had to have one...it'd probably be the 9ft. 7wt Hardy Demon...followed closely by either the 6'6" 3wt Bamboo Gem or the 9ft, 5wt St. Croix Avid....

gt05254

Reaction score
Just two - and no one would want them anyway they are so used! I built them both in grad school in Tennessee. An 8.5 foot 8wt Orvis "Powerhouse" and an 8', 6wt Orvis. Both are the old unsanded blanks, are incredibly slower than anything I have today (mostly Loomis NativeRun GLX's), and are a mess. The corks look like the oil changers at Midas used them to wipe their hands on.

But I still use them on occasion, and they're quite comfortable hanging around right where they are.
Gary

Noiso

Reaction score
Mine is a 3 piece 4W with Winston blanks (I think) that one of my best pals whom I've known for 25+ years built for me over ten years ago and was my first fly rod.

He just charged me for the parts and emblazoned it with the title, "The Muse," which is my last name.

I showed it off to the nice old fellows who hang around at the casting ponds (you know those guys right?). They all smiled and said, "Nice action."

The cork now has a nice warm patina and so do I. I intend to bring it into the afterlife and do some angling in Valhalla or The Happy Fishing Grounds or whatever, where the hatch is always on.

gila steve

Reaction score
My old 7' 6" 7wt Wright Mcgill trail master,Its not really that great of a rod and its well used but i have had it since i was 11 and have got to know it pretty well over the years and i still use it often.

Then there is my go to rod and its a 8'6" Lamiglas 5 wt blank built in the early 70s i think and i dont have a clue who built it its not much to look at either but i sure like it.
Im going to rebuild this rod one of these days ,maybe this winter.

And here lately i got a 8'6" 5wt Graphite Cahill rod from Cabelas thats finding a place in my heart.
Steve

Jackster

Reaction score
Right now I like to think I won't part with several of my Winston BIIx's. I thought that about my old Loomis GLX classics too so that might possibly change. With the economy the way it is I am one of the huge number of people who were once buying what they liked but now have to be satisfied with what we got. Needless to say, I think I bought right when I could and I am quite satisfied.

Two known keepers that stood the test of time are my Winston IM-6 TMF and my 6' 10", 3 weight Scott G. Both bring huge smiles to my face when I use them.
I've hung on to an Orvis 2 weight One Ounce purchased when they came out and used it a lot at first. Nowadays I just don't get to the places that rod shines in so it is in gathering dust mode. I actually bought this same rod twice but that's another story.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Of my rod collection, there are four that I would not replace.
  • Sage SLT 8'3" 3 weight - The length and action works for the small stream waters that I fish.
  • Anderson Custom Rods Steelhead 12'9" 6 weight - It is a great all around Steelhead rod for Northern California and Southern Oregon.
  • Sage TCR 9' 8 weight - It is a smooth casting rod with lots of power. This is my main Striped Bass rod.
  • Scott S3S 8'8" 10 weight - This is my favorite saltwater stick. It is deadly accurate with lots of power. I also use this for freshwater stripers when I need to use heads in excess of 400 grains.

Dennis

FrankB2

Reaction score
I worked in retail while in college, and was a partner in a highly profitable bike shop during the early 1990's. EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE! :D .....Seriously! One of my two partners brought a brand new Schwinn tandem to the shop on a Saturday morning. Schwinn had stopped making tandems, and this was made in the USA. She was wrenching on a bike, and I wheeled the tandem onto the showroom floor, assuming it was for sale (I took care of 95% of all sales). It only took 30 minutes before I had a customer, and he agreed to buy at collector price. While I was writing up the bill, my partner asked what I was doing. "Making you quite a profit", I said. :D She tore up the bill, and said the bike wasn't for sale. We argued for the next hour about the meaning of retail, but she wouldn't part with it.

As far as I'm concerned, everything has a price. Body parts might sell for much more, but make me an offer. :D

oarfish

Reaction score
The rod that I would never part with is my old Fenwick 6wt glass I built 25-30 yrs ago, still fishes with the same period knuckle buster. Second would be a Sage graphite II 8wt.

Rick

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
a question for all you, how often do you use these rods? i know when i have a snowboard that means something to me i ride it 1-2 times a season where my other 4 boards i ride 20-30 time each a season. im afraid ill break the one that means something to me and when i have a rod i know ill be afraid id break that too and never use it.

Davo

Reaction score
My answer would have to be none. I use all my rods at times. Even when I get a new rod in one class or the other I keep the old one. Still have all my rods including the hand me downs from Dad. Have 2 7wt, 4 6wt, 1 5wt, 1 3wt.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Scott G955...fished with it for many years and my son Nico doesn't want to use another rod:)

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Was going to forget my Quarrow Big Horn 9'5wt....a great rod:)won't sell it for it's impossible to find one now;)

FrankB2

Reaction score
Those are the rods that I wouldn't give up. It's a short list; here are my "keeper" rods:

1. Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. (ideal for native Brookies in small freestone streams)
2. Sage Z-axis 9'0" 5 wt. (the best all-around rod that I've ever fished)
3. Sage TCX 9'0" 7 wt. (level lined, overlined for Bones on the windy flats or underlined for a sleepy Smallmouth fisherman, this is one nice stick)
4. Scott S4S 9'0" 9 wt. (a new rod for me, but it looks like love at first bite: this one shoots more line than you carry in the air on your backcast; great for quick, accurate deliveries of prarie dog-sized flies in coldwater salt fishing conditions)

That's it for me. The rest; outside of the sentimental keepers, could all go........if they really had to..... ;)

Pocono
How much do you want for that sweet Tom Morgan rod??? :D

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Won't part with any of my Loomis rods, especially my old 9' 4wt IMX. All of them were wrapped and built by me 'cept for the 3 and 6wts I bought from IMXER.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
1979 Orvis 7' 9" Far & Fine.

For years it was all I used and caught everything on it except kings. When I got a load of them I felt like Sheriff Brody when the shark came up behind the boat after the chum. I just used it yesterday and it's still the best I have :)

mikel

Reaction score
Orvis superfine 2 wt 6'6" creek/panfish rod...the older unsanded model. Very cool to throw dries from my tube to smaller trouties in the higher lakes.