How to tye a dropper

Reactor

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on tying on a dropper. I have failed many times while trying. One leader seems to tangle around the other.

Joni

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on tying on a dropper. I have failed many times while trying. One leader seems to tangle around the other.
Most common is off the bend of the first hook. You can vary that by tying off the eye of the first hook. I put split shot about 18" up from first fly on a nymph rig. But on a dry dropper, just var the length of the tippet for the dropper. If you are getting tangles, try slowing down and wait for the line to straighten all the way out before changing directions. You will have to make larger loops. Also, try casting slightly to the side so as not to hook yourself. Roll cast will be another way, but be sure to lift the rod all the way up till the line drops behind you to get a large loop.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Reactor, Joni has given you good information if it is tangling on the cast. I have tried tying at both positions and prefer the bend of the front hook. One problem may be you are using too long of a leader between the flies. Especially if it is tanging in the water. I assume you are tying your first fly to the end of the leader.Frank

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Try this......
loop line up from end where ever you want "dropper"........take loop through eye of hook.......wrap twice around and pass loop through itself and over hook point. Draw it up carefully .......so as not to ruin fly...and pull tight over eye and center so it rides right. Tangle free and increases feel of fish takes.

Reactor

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm waiting for the ice to thaw and the water temperature to warm up before I try using a dropper. You have pointed out my mistakes and I will correct them.

Ice out is usually by the first week in April.