Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Building a rod.

1. Default Building a rod.

I have a few questions that I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

So first, I am new to fly fishing and am thinking about making my own rod. Now, As I said I am thinking about it so obviously I am making sure it is something that I am capable of before I dive in. The rod I want to make is a 6 strip, 8 ft 3 piece bamboo rod. Now second, what kind of places sell bamboo sticks, and should I use tonkin cane?. Part II 1/2, I want to try to do it by hand for the most part. Obviously I am going to use rod planers (there is a local fly shop that says they have some and will let the public use them but I still need to call them...) but I want to do all the threading by hand (unless you guys think it will be to hard). So part III materials.
    AW12 Window Fly Seats | mudhole.com Seat
    ProKöte Rod Building Thread Finish | mudhole.com thread finish
    Flexcoat Rod Finish | mudhole.com rod finish
    ProWrap? ColorFast Rod Winding Thread - Size A (100 Yds) | mudhole.com thread
    Reinforced Brass Ferrules (Chrome Plated) | mudhole.com ferrules
    Cigar Grips | mudhole.com cork grip
    XFTL Fly Tops | mudhole.com tip guide
    11LDF Fly Guide Kit guide kit Will all of this stuff work?.

So if you see anything that is missing please let me know and also please let me know if any of the materials I listed are wrong or anything like that.
    Ok, Thanks in advance,

-Collin

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Building a rod.

I think you are biting off more than you can chew here. There is a lot to building bamboo rods. You need a lot of stuff. You can get all of it from here; Golden Witch but do some research before you dive in.

I have a friend whose one and only rod that he ever built was a bamboo from scratch, but he took a class to do it.
    Another friend taught himself to build cane rods from scratch, but he had lots of experience building and repairing other rods.

At the Catskill Fly Fishing Center, they have a bamboo rod building class each June and there's a Rod Builder's Gathering coming up in September.
    My buddy picked up most of his 'tips' at that clave which he attends each year
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

I agree with Dan, theres a lot to building any type of rod and the bamboo is the hardest. Pick up a Bamboo rod building guide or two.

Good luck..Rick