o mykiss's picture thread

o mykiss

Reaction score
so i've decided...instead of creating a new thread everyday, i'm just going to have ONE ongoing thread to which i will keep adding photos and blurbs.

feel free to contribute! :D

today (8/5/11):
some scenery:

fishing was kinda slow.... maybe because it rained yesterday and a little this morning. i've been told by bass fishermen that sudden weather changes could temporarily alter/halt the feeding habits of bass... not sure if it's the same thing for trout...

anyway... i was hitting deep holes with streamers.... felt a strong tug and i set the hook.... it was heavy.... i could tell it was a big fish when i saw it flashing in the water... but i didn't expect it to be...........
a pikeminnow. A HUGE ONE!:

i don't keep track of the pikeminnnow i've caught in my fly fishing career but i think this one could be the biggest one i've ever caught... 23 INCHES!:

i switched to a conehead muddler and after about 15 minutes of casting, i landed this nice rainbow... i'm guessing 15 or 16 inches:

then i had to go back to work. :D

dean_mt

Reaction score
You and your pikeminnows! That's funny, I don't think I have every caught one of those. One time a friend of mine caught a big "squaw" fish while floating the Clark Fk...like 5 pounder big.

What kind of work puts right next to a different river everyday for lunch time fishing? This is one isn't the lower Blackfoot...Chief Looking Glass?

oarfish

Reaction score
As always great pic's, wish I could invade your waters, might make a few trips since my daughter has decided to go to college here in Santa Cruz I'll now have a house sitter I won't need to pay. My wife and I are happy about getting away a little more just the two of us but my daughter Jenny is pissed. Great fishing!

Rick

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Omy,

Cold fronts affect bass fishing...after the front hits, the fish become inactive. I've had bass hit like crazy...just before the front hits.

Do those pikeminnows fight hard? I'll catch anything that puts up a fight. Last summer, I hooked a big snapping turtle...felt like a boat anchor that never fought back! I must've draggged that thing 50 yds until it threw the hook...heard the splash and recovered all the terminal gear.

Cheers,

Robert

Davo

Reaction score
Nice photos and great looking water! like Ard I'll be subscribing to this thread!! Keep em coming. ;)

o mykiss

Reaction score
You and your pikeminnows! That's funny, I don't think I have every caught one of those. One time a friend of mine caught a big "squaw" fish while floating the Clark Fk...like 5 pounder big.

What kind of work puts right next to a different river everyday for lunch time fishing? This is one isn't the lower Blackfoot...Chief Looking Glass?
not the lower blackfoot.... just a section of the clark fork. :D

and i can't disclose my type of work... it's top secret. :D

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

As always great pic's, wish I could invade your waters, might make a few trips since my daughter has decided to go to college here in Santa Cruz I'll now have a house sitter I won't need to pay. My wife and I are happy about getting away a little more just the two of us but my daughter Jenny is pissed. Great fishing!

Rick
i'd like to get out to california and do some fly fishing in the ocean.... i fished once in san diego but we were on a big charter boat and using live baitfish....

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Omy,

Cold fronts affect bass fishing...after the front hits, the fish become inactive. I've had bass hit like crazy...just before the front hits.

Do those pikeminnows fight hard? I'll catch anything that puts up a fight. Last summer, I hooked a big snapping turtle...felt like a boat anchor that never fought back! I must've draggged that thing 50 yds until it threw the hook...heard the splash and recovered all the terminal gear.

Cheers,

Robert
big pikeminnow put up a decent fight. smaller ones, not so much.... the thing with these fish is they'll eat anything.... i caught a 14 inch pikeminnow once while casting for northern pike... the pike fly i was using was 6 inches long too! crazy pikeminnnow!

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

I've been enjoying all these threads, I'll keep tab on this one.

Ard
thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Nice photos and great looking water! like Ard I'll be subscribing to this thread!! Keep em coming. ;)
thank you.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

ok fellow fly fishermen/women... it's been really busy these last couple of days.... i needed a break today (8/10/11) so i went down to the river on my lunch break.... this place is right there by my work place.... steve rajeff could probably drop a fly in the water from the front door of our office....

decided to take my 3wt today, since i was just gonna fish the smaller sections of the river.
some scenery:

this hole looked promising.... it went from ankle-deep riffle to a sudden drop off... i couldn't even see the bottom... it was deep.

i tossed a few dries right over the hole... nothing... so i tied on a nymph and caught this little brown on my first cast:

i released the brown, casted again and got snagged on something.... broke my tippet off.... and then it started raining hard. i scurried back to my car. just when i got inside my car and started the ignition, the rain stopped. :mad:

dean_mt

Reaction score
This is a fun game...trying to figure out where you are fishing from you photos. Today is a no-brainer, the first photo was a giveaway. This morning on my way to work, I was thinking that section looks like it's worth an hour some evening this week.

Have you been to Kelly lately? I haven't since the water's gone down...soon...

Keep up the good work!

o mykiss

Reaction score
This is a fun game...trying to figure out where you are fishing from you photos. Today is a no-brainer, the first photo was a giveaway. This morning on my way to work, I was thinking that section looks like it's worth an hour some evening this week.

Have you been to Kelly lately? I haven't since the water's gone down...soon...

Keep up the good work!
i went to kelly once... it's totally different now. lots of swift and deep sections....tough water to fish, unlike the previous years... i'm gonna wait a couple more weeks before i go back. hopefully the water will drop a little more.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

this morning (8/11/11) i left for work a little earlier than usual... i just wanted to check out a spot that i haven't been to since the runoff.... it was nice.... and lo and behold, the fish were rising!... i watched for about 10 minutes.... i couldn't stand it anymore. i needed to make a couple casts... so i went back to my car and grabbed my equipment....

some scenery:

all the big risers were in the middle, about 30 yards out so i couldn't get to them with the brush behind me.... there were littler ones about 15 yards out.... like this little guy, caught on a size 18 PMD:

they stopped rising after i netted him. :( time was running out and i couldn't wait around for them to start feeding again.

i started to head back to my car and found this:

it looked like something used for fishing. :D

dean_mt

Reaction score
There is thread going about Brodin Ghost nets, lots of praise for them. Which style of net is that, mykiss? And have you experienced fish releasing themselves once netted in that?

o mykiss

Reaction score
Nice pics and interesting thread:thumbsup:....never heard about pikeminnows before seeing one on the forum:rolleyes:how do you catch them?
pikeminnow will pretty much eat anything that will fit in their mouths... i've caught them on pike flies, trout streamers, nymphs and size 20 griffith's gnats....

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

There is thread going about Brodin Ghost nets, lots of praise for them. Which style of net is that, mykiss? And have you experienced fish releasing themselves once netted in that?
the one i have is the Gallatin... i love it. i've never had a fish release itself in it though... i did have a 27 inch rainbow wiggle and slide right out of it at harpers lake once.... i guess this net is designed for fish that are under 24 inches. :D

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

very interesting thread to read/look at pictures:thmbup:

ben
thanks ben.

o mykiss

Reaction score
hello all!
today's fishin' photos! (8/17/11)
was a beautiful day......

scenery:

this was a really deep hole.... swift water and eddies galore!....and that tree, there's gotta be a huge brown just sitting under there.... i couldn't resist throwing a heavy streamer into it.... well, just as i had sort of predicted, it got snagged and i broke my tippet....

i walked for a while looking for some softer water..... noticed some ripples on the surface..... i popped out my streamer spool and snapped on my floating spool.... tied a size 18 pmd onto my 5x tippet... a few casts later and i landed this little guy... guestimated at 13 inches:

casted some more and had another trout on but it spit out the fly before i could net it.

tomorrow i'm going pikin'.