Be careful wading---disaster today

FrankB2

Reaction score
Yvonne and I were fishing our local stream, and having a great time. Yvonne's casts were spectacular, and we were catching panfish and smallmouth on Madame X flies. We moved downstream, and I got a little further away from Yvonne than usual (about 40 feet downstream of her). I looked upstream, and as I said, "Don't wade there!", her feet slid out from under her. The stream bottom is largely one sheet of smooth rock, and warm water temps have left a nice coating of slime on the biggest sheets. She couldn't move, and I had to call 911. The fire department and EMT's eventually found us, and had to carry Yvonne a few hundred yards upstream, and then up a couple of steep and muddy hills. She broke two bones in her ankle, and is done for a couple months! We have to wait until Monday to see if the breaks will require surgery, so.....

I've been thinking about the wisdom of having Yvonne wade these slippery sections lately, but she's always eager to dive in. She have a wading staff, but it seldom gets used. I've fallen in this stream a few times in the past couple months, but have avoided injury. I'll be 50 in a month, and while my physical conditioning is back to where it was 10 years ago (gained and lost
90 pounds after a bicycle crash), it's time to start avoiding injury. Don't get me wrong. I won't be sitting on the sofa watching Bill Dance fish for bass on TV, but wading slick streams will be re-evaluated. I wore 80% of the felt off the bottom of my Simms boots in the past two years, and the next pair will have metal studs of some sort. Beginning a year ago, I began fishing without getting in the water as much as possible. That was mostly due to fishing a no-wading stretch of a great trout stream. I liked that idea so much, I decided to try it on my regular streams. It works fine.

Yvonne will walk again, and we'll be fishing together soon enough. I'll wheel her onto a fishing pier if that's what it takes, but we'll be fishing. ;) There are a lot of forum members that aren't as indestructible as they once were, and I just wanted to pass along today's disaster as a warning to others. My one and only serious physical injury happened when I threw my arms up after winning a bicycle race. I hit a little bump in the road at full speed, and did unknown damage to my shoulder (I don't like doctors). I assumed that the shoulder would heal itself, and continued eating the same huge quantity of food I ate when riding 150-200 miles each week. It was 5 years before I could ride again, and I had gained an enormous amount of weight. Getting that weight off was TOUGH, but I'm nearly done. My wife is now going to have to be monitored closely for weight, and getting back on her bike is something I wouldn't want to speculate about. So be careful, and warn the ones you're fishing with that everyone is breakable. Even the firemen were having a tough time wading in 12 inches of water today.......

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank,

Please relay to Yvonne my condolences regarding her injury. I am sorry to hear that you guys had a bad day like this.

Ard

littledavid123

Reaction score
I am glad Yvonne will be alright in time, having broken an ankle myself it took almost a year for the limp to go away. But don't think she will be deprived of fishing for very long. :)

Working in a dangerous field, safety is always on my mind, we discuss safety everyday and empower anyone working on location to shut down the job if they suspect something or someone of being unsafe. Every now and then this forum will have a discussion about survival gear but "every now and then" is not enough. We should question, advise and tutor fellow members more often and not be bashful about doing so. :)

Dave

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Frank, I am really sorry to hear the ordeal that you went through, and I am thankful that you shared this story to give us warning. I hope and pray for your wife's quick recovery so that both of you can enjoy fishing again.
The other day I had a bear plunge and left several scratches on my wrist, which makes me think that I should bring a whistle or fish with buddies. I am also around your age and last year gave up fishing at a river where I have caught large hybrids because slippery conditions of the river have caused several unfortunate events.
Again I pray that your wife will feel better. And although I never met your wife, please give my best regard to her.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Frank,
Sorry to hear about this, please give Yvonne my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

bruce m

Reaction score
First off I hope your wife recovers quickly and with no serious after effects. Secondly just this year I have noticed that I too was having a heck of a time keeping my balance walking on the river rocks, I never used a wading stick before, one day I slipped with my foot jammed in a crevice and nearly broke my leg, I the got a branch from the shore to give it a shot and was surprised at how much it helped me. I now get a branch every time and am much safer in that regard but I prop the stick up into my belt while not in use an will be looking for a proper wading stick with a stowable feature now.
You've mentioned getting studded wading shoes, forgive me if I'm mistaken but aren't they generally for icy conditions, I would think metal on bare rock wouldn't be a great grip, not sure.

wabi

Reaction score
Hope Yvonne's recovery is speedy and complete.

I took a dip in the Ohio river last winter and decided to update the safety rules for my wading since I qualify for the "Golden Buckeye" senior discounts now.

troutslayer

Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear of what happened to Yvonne. Glad she is okay and on the mend. Thanks for the reminder on wading. I am 57 and took a nasty fall this year. (almost passed out from the pain!) You are right, our minds think we are still 20 years younger but we are not indestructible!

yatahey

Reaction score
Man, I'm sorry to hear about this Frank. I hope Yvonne will make a complete recovery and be up and fishing again soon. Best of luck to you both.

webrx

Reaction score
Frank,

Sorry to hear about Yvonne, best wishes for a speedy recovery and for her, and you, being able to fish together again soon. my wife is my best freind, but she does not fish, though she will go to the lake or river and read a book, have a picnic, etc while I do. I envy you having a built in fishing buddy in your family. My 10 year old is starting to get there for me.

I turned 52 this year, last year I bought a wading staff, and this year, I have been mostly fishing still waters on my float tube. one because it is fun and I really enjoy it and two because at my age and physical condition, the current flows in the river make it dangerous for me to wade them. I have felt boots with metal cleats and as you noted the metal cleats do help.

I don't fish extremely challenging stretches of river anymore, especially when the water is fast and deep, I would love to be in the physical condition I was when I was younger, but, even with strength, there are still those things, older bones, weaker joints, etc. that affect you as you age. There are options to fish without wading tough stretches of river, tubing, fishing more from shore, getting better at a roll cast, etc. these are some of the adjustments I have made as I have gotten older and have others that still depend on me for income and company.

d

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the kind wishes. :) I'll show this thread to Yvonne, and it will cheer her up!

Some additional notes...
I knew exactly where we were at yesterday, but the fire department likes street addresses. The road that runs along the stream has a name, but we were straddling two different townships, and were a mile from a third. The dispatcher kept telling me that the firemen weren't able to find us, even with this location: Newportville Rd, .4 miles north of Newportville and New Falls Rd. Sounds easy to me, and my Jeep was parked on the side of the road, underneath the PA Turnpike overpass. Even when I told the dispatcher that the fire engines had stopped on the right part of the road, she told me that they could not see us. I have a LOUD voice, and that problem was quickly resolved. If I had been another 500 yards downstream (or was unable to yell), that might not have been the case. I've been on other streams that would not have been so easy for rescuers to find, and often didn't know the name of any nearby road. I have the old style cell phone, but I think the newer models have a GPS locator feature.

When we began sailing in bays and the Atlantic around 1990, knowing where we were at at all times became second nature. Every movement was evaluated with safety in mind, and PFD's were always worn while underway.
I knew boaters who didn't give a hoot about safety, and took great comfort in the knowledge that the Coast Guard (or a tow boat from Boat US) would solve all of their problems. These same people often took very little care of their boats, and often had to radio/phone Boat US. Radios don't always work, and cell phones get wet, so I always thought that relying on the Coast Guard was foolish. I took great comfort and pride in caring for our equipment, being prepared for an emergency with an extensive first aid kit (and basic training in its use, along with CPR), as well as carrying a fixed and handheld radio, etc. Yesterday, I felt helpless. The dispatcher wanted me to leave Yvonne, and find a street address. There are house along this secton of the stream, but the nearest was at least 500 yards away, and Yvonne was falling asleep! We were in the middle of the stream, and I had considered carrying a small flare launcher over the past couple years. I've waded into the middle of the Delaware River to fish around small islands, and would be invisible to rescuers if I couldn't stand (and maybe even then!).

Yvonne had her cell phone on an inside pocket of her waders, as we've both smoked phones stored in the outside pocket. Those outside pockets might look as waterproof as the rest of the wader, but ours are not. She had water come over top of her waders, even in one foot of water. Both of our phones were still working, but what if our phones weren't? Yvonne did buy a waterproof cell phone bag a couple years ago, but she stopped using it. Yvonne was in too much pain to help herself out of the shallow water, and onto a long rock just a few feet away. We've decided to wear inflatable PFD's once she's back on the water. Her break was causing her to close her eyes, and she just wanted to lie back! 12 inches of water might was well be 12 feet of water in that situation! I had to hold her head out of the water, and drag her dead weight onto the rock (not as easy as it sounds). We usually wade close together, and she's often grabbed me in slippery spots. What would have happened if we both fell yesterday?

Look at the water you fish, and run through the scenarios. While I had thought about Yvonne falling before, I had done very little to plan for an emergency. I mentioned that I knew exactly where we were in terms of street name, and nearby intersections, but even the fire department (thanks to all of the volunteers that came out!!!!) had a tough time finding us. It was like one of those movies in which the stranded watch a search aircraft fly overhead, but can't be seen. My new plan is that if I have to rely on 911 for help, maybe it's not worth the risk.

Bruce,
I've never used anything but old rubber lugged waders (deadly on this stream), and felt. I was thinking a felt and metal cleat combo would be useful on slippery rocks. This particular stream's bed is largely one sheet of rock, sloping down toward the center of the stream. I've slid several feet there before, with nothing to stop the slide. A wading staff would have been useful, and the cleats that Simms sells look promising. I've heard people say that the metal cleats could spook fish, but I'm now willing to take that risk. ;)

bruce m

Reaction score
You touched on a great point, and that is keeping your phone dry. I have just shoved my phone in the top pocket of my vest before, kind of dumb because if I slip and fall the phone will inevitably get wet and be useless, I now put it in a zip lock bag and don't leave home without it. I do not get regular service where I fish but some of you may not be aware that cell calls are forced into an emergency mode when 911 is dialed and you will get reception, so don't leave it behind just because you think it will not get reception.

O

okuma

I hope Yvonne recovers quickly. Not being a youngin anymore, I feel for her inury. Many places I wade are also of large flat rocks. A wading staff, I'm not so sure will help. It will slip as well as your feet. After wrenching my back at Elk Creek Pa., with felts on, I have opted to use Chote studs(cleats). I haven't seen much of spooking fish as I wade. You may still slip. However, they will dig in quickly and prevent most falls.

yatahey

Reaction score
Hopefully, you will not have another incident like this, but as a tip for the rest of the board members, I recommend carrying a whistle with you when you are in an area that can potentially be difficult to find for rescue personnel.
Three of anything is the universal signal of distress. Three blasts on a whistle will alert anyone in the area who is familiar with this signal that you need help and can help direct rescue personnel to your location.
I carry a Storm Whistle that can even be blown underwater. It's VERY LOUD.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the injury and I hope it heals quickly. I am a terrible wader and have taken many dips in some cold water. Luckily I came out OK. But sometimes it doesn't take much.

On those slimy round rock skater streams I really like ice cleats. I use an add on pair of regular ice cleats from Cabelas. They are cheap and work really well.
Cabela's: MaxxDry Grip-On™ Ice Cleats

The second item I have because I fish and hike in a lot of out of the way places. Most of which do not have any cell phone coverage.

I carry a PLB (personal locator beacon). It is for emergency use and I have never used it, and hope I never will. It weighs a bit more than my gps but it is great it to have as a back up. It works off of satellite and goes straight into the search and rescue system. plb at REI.com They are spendy, but your life or someone else's is worth every penny. And it is waterproof.

texastroutbum

Reaction score
I want to also introduce a youtube review regarding star cleats on simms vibram wading boots. I have been using water shed vibram boots. They are good but I am thinking of getting star cleats for extra caution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkjw_U2WaNA]‪Simms StreamTread Boots with Star Cleats: A Field Test‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I did something similar 15-16 years ago, but I was alone.
Slipped and fell on some ice shattering my ankle when it got stuck under a tree root.
I had to crawl out of the woods through the snow.
Fortunately we were expected at my nephew's 1st birthday and when I didn't return on time to leave, my wife came looking for me. She and a neighbor ended up pulling me the rest of the way out on toboggan
Surgery, crutches, PT. Not fun and the ankle still bothers me sometime to this day