Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Latest Artwork "Quiet Anticipation"

Hey folks.

Haven't posted in a while. Been blazing hot here on the prairies! With temps hovering around 30ºC for the past two months, it's hard to convince yourself to go sit in a float tube or wade in a river in that heat.

So I've been pre-occupied with other distractions. For one, we've been preparing for the upcoming archery whitetail deer season that is fast approaching. Picked myself up a new bow, Hoyt Alphaburner and have been practicing daily shooting at a variety of distances and situations.

I've always spent some time behind the drawing table working on an entry for the Fisheries Enhancement Stamp Competition. I wanted to do my favorite fish and represent it in its nature surroundings, as if you were underwater with it. So I came up with this.

"Quiet Anticipation"
    One of my favorite ways to fish brown trout is to use topwater deerhair patterns. The discovery of this was when I noticed traveling sedges scooting across the water. I tied on a Goddard Caddis and tried to mimic the sedges. This is where my topwater obsession began and is still my favorite way to fish for trout. This drawing depicts what the trout see, and includes the pattern that started it all for me, the Goddard Caddis.

It's good to finally be finished it. It was a heck of a challenge and overall I'm pleased with the results. The competition is for artists to get recognition for their talents and depict local gamefish in our province. The chosen artwork is reproduced as limited edition prints and is also made into an enhancement stamp that is then placed on all the fishing licenses sold in the province. So it's a great opportunity for artists to get their name out there and show their talents. I'm excited about it!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to fall fishing and hunting out here! It's arguably the most beautiful time of year out here and it's going to be busy spent outdoors! Deer hunting, waterfowl hunting, and fly fishing, it's going to be a ton of fun!

Nick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Latest Artwork "Quiet Anticipation"

Good luck in the competition Nick, that looks great! And good luck in deer season as well, I'll be pursuing deer and turkey with a bow in Buffalo this year, but my bow is an old PSE, its no alphaburner
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

Great job Nickpity we can't vote...you could easily win

Great painting! It's really cool! Good luck with your bow hunting! Ours starts here Sept 15th.
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

nicly done, really like how you did the sun ray reflections and riffles. I have done a few oil works in the past, mostly landscape and my most reent was a harris hawk. last winter i took up airbrush so that has taken over a bit, but the fine brush work still allows more detail for me anyway. Are you on the wetcanvas forum at all? great resorce for arts. good luck
    Mike

Blog Entries

Beautiful Job!!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

7. Thumbs up Re: Latest Artwork "Quiet Anticipation"

That is a really beautiful piece!!

Good job. I tried painting years ago since I thought I was pretty good at drawing, but realized it wasn't the same and downright horrible when I tried to do fish or deer.

I now shoot pictures instead (of both), just like thousands of other dudes who suck at painting.

You got the gift, keep it up and keep posting them here; I'll be looking for them.

Moe

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Dang Nick, you are the multitalented guy aren't you? Very nice work. What did you use? I used to do stuff with pastels and you can get a near photographic quality with it. Very good job and good luck. If you win let me know so I can buy a stamp.

WOW!!!!!! that is an amazing painting!!!!!!
    thats just about all i can say, and pretty much all thats needed for it!
    you have an amazing talent!!!!!

amanda

Beautiful artwork Nick-- good luck, and if there's any voting we should know about please post a link!
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast