Do you Have a Favorite Fishing Situation?

Pocono

Reaction score
Last week I was fortunate and landed some really nice trout while back on my home waters in the Poconos. But, when I relate my fishing adventures to friends, the first thing that comes out is some small headwaters fishing for native Brookies on one of the feeder streams of Broadhead Creek.

I started early in the morning last Friday and waded my way about 3 miles up from where the feeder empties into the Broadhead. Skinny water, pocket water, lots of overhang and undercut banks. And lots of Brookies.

I fished, exclusively, a #18 cream elk hair caddis and it was the right fly for the day. Pitching into the heads of the undercuts, the backs of boulders, the bases of small waterfalls, under the foliage on overhanging Rhodies. Whenever I hooked a fish, it was like my first one; just a lot of fun.

Largest fish of the day was, I think, about 8", which isn't bad for a native, feeder stream Brookie.

This is definitely my favorite kind of fishing; and probably always will be.

What's your favorite fishing situation?

Pocono

gatortransplant

Reaction score
My favorite kind of fishing is whenever I head home to visit the parents in Sarasota, FL and get to go out fishing with my dad anywhere, saltwater or freshwater. Even if we don't catch anything, it's just great to get to fish with the person who passed his favorite hobby on to me. I hope that this year he'll get to come fish the steelhead run with me in NY!

If I'm fishing alone, I just love a good day spent shooting for the salt slam: reds, trout, and snook!

comeonavs

Reaction score
Yes I do, one is scenery and animals

The other situations is miles of solitude with no cell reception. The guy in the photo is my father so his company is ok

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
A day on my favorite spring creek, where numerous flies and techniques have come to fruition, as well as landing some really great browns and cutts over the last 8 years.

Here is what it looks like:

And, here is what we catch:

I haven't been able to fish my favorite spring this year due to my ankle problems, but perhaps this week I'll finally be off crutches and able to look forward to a trip to the spring sometime by the end of August - CAN'T WAIT!!!

Kelly.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Allan,

I would have to say; water not too low, not too high, with a good number of silvers in the river. it's silvers right now but this goes for all the salmon species, steelhead, and of course all those years of trout fishing in the mid Atlantic States.

I've caught them in drought conditions and likewise in high water but ideal river / stream flow levels has to be my favorite situation. Along with adequate numbers of fish; I can put up with wind (up to 85 mph) rain (sideways with the wind) and even the occasional brown bear but still it's all about the flow rate.

Ard

FlyBum

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, but I love tight line nymphing in the places that most fly fishers pass up...the seems and pockets in a rock garden. I love the challenge wading these areas of fishing systematically through each likely fish holding spot.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I would love to learn that sort of fishing. I see all these pictures of the spots you guys fish and wonder, how do they work a fish in that jumble of rocks??? I'm sure as I get more experience on trout streams rather than the salt flats, I'll start to see the beginnings of those answers!

fishnskiguy

Reaction score
I have an absolute love affair with medium- small sized meadow meanders. Ten-twenty foot wide, 50-120 CFS, slow oxbow bend, short riffle, slow oxbow bend, short riffle, rinse and repeat. Never was a big water guy.

Chris

littledavid123

Reaction score
Good Post Allen

Having only fly fished since January, my experience is so limited I don't even know yet my likes and dislikes. :) There is one situation that always brings a smile to my face, finding myself alone with no sign or sound of man and his creations.

Dave

Pocono

Reaction score
I would love to learn that sort of fishing. I see all these pictures of the spots you guys fish and wonder, how do they work a fish in that jumble of rocks??? I'm sure as I get more experience on trout streams rather than the salt flats, I'll start to see the beginnings of those answers!
AJ, Keep a tight line and strip in the fish as quickly as you can.

For me, that's the best way to prevent the inevitable break-offs that happen when the fish has your fly, takes off and finds a rock, log or other submerged object that can either snap or abrade the leader/tippet. And those objects are always close in pocket water fishing. I keep as much pressure on from the initial hook-up as I can; just shy of what I think will snap the tippet and I'm usually fishing 6x tippet on those small freestones streams. I also like to get the fish's head out of the water and facing me as soon as possible; once the head it out, the fight seems to come out of most fish; regardless of size. When I get a fish coming at me looking like a surfboard, then I know that he's headed straight for my net. :)

Pocono

Davo

Reaction score
For me it would have to be standing on the casting deck of a flats boat and watching a set of 20+ Tarpon pop out of the creek and come cruising across. Like being stuck on the tracks with a freight train barreling down on you. It ends in the thrill of a lifetime or a complete train wreck!! LOL. ;):p:D

cattech89

Reaction score
Hey Allan,
This is a great post.
You are truly a guy after my own heart. Small stream brookie fishing is my favorite.
I know that its been said that brookies are the easiest of the trout species to catch and maybe so. However, I get more enjoyment just being in those secluded mountain streams where few dare to believe there are fish. Its the experience and adventure of small stream brookie fishing that keeps me longing for those tiny, overgrown, unadulterated streams.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters...
Seth

cpiercem

Reaction score
I am for the small to medium streams also. They are all so different; even the same stream a month later can be a new experience. Around each bend is a new challenge and a new fish. The adventure of finding new gems to fish in out of the way places is a blast. Some of these streams are in ranch land where lower down they completely disappear into field irrigation. You wouldn't even suspect that there is a great trout stream just up in the hills a ways. The scenery is awe inspiring, the solitude and silence is thunderous, and the fish are amazing! What is not to like??

Jimmie

Reaction score
Skinny pocket water with a dry here too, Pocono. Not necessarily crazy about the overhangs or risky rock hopping. It's more about the target casting, and no drag drifts for me. I could do it all day (and have).