fast action rods

kylebass91

Reaction score
I do mostly bass fishing, and have been fishing with an old heavy 8 weight, can anyone recommend a nice FAST action rod 6-8 weight? Price isnt too big an issue, but I cant spend 500+ on a rod, we dont get paid that much around here

Joni

Reaction score
I second the Sage...BLUEGILL series...what a fantastic stick. Great for trout as well as Bass.
I think the Bluegill is more a seven or eight weight equal.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

Redington has the "predator" series and Bass Pro Shops has the "heat" series.

A friend tried the Heat rod, and it is a fast action from his report.

If possible, try to cast some rods that interest you. You might find a rod that knocks you out.

Cheers,

Robert

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Kyle,
You need to ask yourself what you want out of a rod.
1. Do I wish to throw large topwater flies in close?
2. Do I wish to throw a variety of flies at a variety of distances?
3. Do I wish to only use a floating line?
4. Will I be using this rod for just bass or a variety of fish?

The questions are designed to sway your choice towards a traditional nine foot rod or a modern short bass rod. Traditional nine foot rods will be the more versatile of your choices. It will throw a variety of flies and lines at a variety of distances. The modern short bass rod is a good choice for using floating lines to throw larger flies at close to mid distances precisely. I know that a good caster could throw the whole line if he tried, but the rod was not designed for that.

Dennis

caseywise

Reaction score
i have a sage fli 890 that i would categorize as fast. throws big bass bugs with no problem.
you can find them occasionally on ebay or craigs list.

casey

Vans

Reaction score
Redington.

You will get a good quality rod for a great price. Leaving you more room to spend on a reel, line, extras, etc

silver creek

Reaction score
I'd buy the 7 or 8 wt Borger Pro Series, originally $380.00, now on close out for $116.95 for the 7 Wt and the $119.95 for the 8 Wt.

https://catalog.theflyshop.com/prod...=7964&osCsid=7dr6pa6qo6kpragheug7jrnei4ro0mrq

Gary and I were fishing the 7 wts for smallies earlier in this year.

Here are some posts about the rods:

New Fly Rods - Rocky Mountain Fly Forums

Targus Fly Rod - Fly Fishing Forums

Best 8 Weight Flats Rod? - Page 2 - Reel-Time Forums

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/77820-targus-gary-borger-rods.html

rockriver

Reaction score
I reccommend a Sage. I've always fished the 70's Fenwick glass and recently picked up a Sage Z-Axis in 4 wt. I really can't come up with the wording for this fantastic action. It was $552 from Cabela's.

grassonfly

Reaction score
i have used the heat rod and i have found that it casts like a penn slammer... in short i wouldnt even recommend it to an enemy.