important gear storage question

kfisher99

Reaction score
So I'm a college student with a really small apartment and I have lots of fly fishing gear, so I'm planning on keeping it all in a duffle bag inside the trunk of my honda, which is parked outside sometimes in the sun. Will that damage any of the gear over time? It's in San Diego, CA so it doesn't get THAT hot. Thanks.

Vans

Reaction score
Since it isnt going to be in direct light for long periods of time, it should be fine. However, i would be more concerned with theft. To spend all that money and time aquiring gear you love only to have someone nik it from you in an instant....

caseywise

Reaction score
put that bag in your closet or under your bed or wherever inside your apt.
i was robbed of about 1500 bucks worth of gear about 10 years ago stolen out of the trunk of my buddies car:(

casey

gt05254

Reaction score
I'd say if you can find room for a duffle bag in your honda, you can find room for it in your apt. Heat doesn't help tackle, and a thief might well help himself to your tackle in your car.
Gary

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi kfisher99,

It may not get real hot along the beach but just a few miles inland and it can get extremely hot. Heat might deteriorate your leader material, anything that is plastic might melt or deform. Some fly dressings may be altered. I just wouldn't take the chance.

Frank

O

okuma

A couple of things to keep in mind here. Theft is one. Although you may not realize it, someone always sees you storing stuff in a car. Heat in the trunk causes humidity. If your reels are disc drags and yo don't keep the drags backed off, this may cause the drag system to lock up (or stick). The fly line isn't in water, so it may also be heating up and cooling unnaturally. As far as the rods, my only experience was many years back with a Daiwa mini spin. I left it together in the trunk for a few days. Upon taking it out, the rod formed a curve in the top end...which never straightened out. Just my 2 cents. Hope you didn't mind.

Noiso

Reaction score
The upside of keeping your gear in the trunk is that you are ready to fish wherever you may be in your car. I live in San Francisco - so San Diego seems hot. I'd probably at least store leaders and tippet somewhere cooler.
Depending on your neighborhood and the $$$ factor of your car, you might want to keep the stuff inside. If you keep it in your car nobody will see you loading/unloading the gear except at the river.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Noiso, love the name and snappy quote.
As I live near fish, the gear never leaves the car.
If I wasn't fishing salt, I'd hide the FFishing stuff.
Unless your Honda is wired like Kit, and will shock the snot out of the bad guys.
I lost enough stuff to say it.
PS. Hot tippet bad.

Jim

oarfish

Reaction score
Yes San Diego gets hot, if you have a rig thats a kick around go a head and store it in your car, I keep a rod in the truck, tippet and line do get brittle when there cooking in heat. If I were you I'd keep it in my apartment and I'd also get renters insurance to cover your gear. Theres a lot of theft of parked cars in these times. Enjoy San Diego it can be a fun town.

Rick

Sage & Abel

Reaction score
I would never store my gear in my trunk. There is no way constant temp changes, which would happen every day, is good for your gear. I keep my gear in a closet. Dark, temp controlled, less flux in temps, longer life. Theft concerns aside.

Cheers,
Mike.

EXPATRIATE

Reaction score
I fully agree with the advice given. I thought my gear was safely padlocked in my garden shed while I was away for a week with the family in 1979, only to return and find someone had hack-sawed the padlock off. Store it Inside and take away all that temptation for thieves!