Tree Slinging

littledavid123

Reaction score
This morning after the fishing slowed in a hole that is good for wading, I eased into the kayak (one should always EASE into a kayak :D) and went downstream. There is a good spot to fish but it must be done from the kayak but, there is a sunken tree with two nice limbs sticking out of the water to wedge the boat into. The problem is there also happens to be a tree right in front that is close enough to reach up with hand and touch the limbs. It's on the forward side of the boat so you can lean back and stiff arm cast without hitting the tree.

First cast is good, the streamer drifts downstream while I'm making short fast strips...Strike and a miss, that sends the streamer up in the tree. Ok my fault, quit striking and just lift the rod next time. Strike, lift the rod and fish on...fish throws streamer and that's 2 in the tree. Ok, keep the rod parallel with the water while fighting fish. Strike, pull rod to the left hold parallel to the water and strip like mad to keep tension, fish dives right in front of boat, slips hook, streamer lands in the tree.

Ended up netting 3 fish from that spot but at a cost of 3 streamers. :eek: Next week I will report on how to use a chainsaw while sitting in a kayak! :p

Dave

troutslayer

Reaction score
Good story! Way to keep at it! Any pics or will that be the following week's instructions on How to Take Pictures in a Kayak Without Tipping It Over? lol

mbphotos54

Reaction score
good stuff, having a 14ft 24inch wide day touring kayak I know how tippy gets, I havent tried fishing with it yet.. those big tub kayaks might be my next 'want' item. I had a similer issue today on the creek, I want wading and came into a section full of debris and behold a deep pool on the other side of a mangled tree.. soo.. I had to try it and yep on the first missed strike I nail the tree with the popper haha.. oh well.
mike

kevthebassman

Reaction score
Gotta love it, the best spots always have their guardians :D
Always! When I take my wife fishing, she always marvels at how accurately I can place a bait with my spinning gear (I'm less skilled with a fly, but getting much better) she asked me one time, how I got that good, and I told her that I have to be that good with Mepp's Spinners at $4 a piece!

wjc

Reaction score
One of my fishing buddies from years ago, who was probably 70 years my senior - in his mid 90's - canoed up as I was trying to retrieve a fly from a branch while standing in my canoe.

In his thick Maine accent he said "Now that musta been a WICKED good salmon. Trout nevah jump that high".

I gave him a long strip of polar bear hair from some that a friend who was a taxidermist had given to me. He fished a lot of black ghosts in the spring. He was extraordinarily pleased, but said that most of it would be wasted on him. I protested, then he said,

" Hell, there's no way that I can possibly live much moah than to right about heah" while he poiinted to a spot on the strip about a foot and a half down.

Cheers,
Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I looked on-line for one of those gizmo's that you toss up over the limb to either cut it or pull it down to where you can reach it but couldn't fine one. I have used rocks and an old sinking line that I used to carry for just this purpose. Depending on how high they were and since you're in a kayak you could carry a 6' pruning stick. You know what I'm talking about right? I hate losing flies.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
If you hope to cut the branch, they make survival saws that are in essence highly abrasive strands that you work like a hack saw (think using dental floss or fishing line to cut cheese or the like). You could attach one of these to a longer rope and weight one end to flick it over or around branches. Just a thought if you're trying to remove the branch.

littledavid123

Reaction score
Unfortunately these streamers will have to be a sacrificed. To many submerged limbs coupled with deep water and current to risk my wife and kids future. I do appreciate the advice though. :)

Dave