Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree Slinging

Default Tree Slinging

This morning after the fishing slowed in a hole that is good for wading, I eased into the kayak (one should always EASE into a kayak ) and went downstream. There is a good spot to fish but it must be done from the kayak but, there is a sunken tree with two nice limbs sticking out of the water to wedge the boat into. The problem is there also happens to be a tree right in front that is close enough to reach up with hand and touch the limbs. It's on the forward side of the boat so you can lean back and stiff arm cast without hitting the tree.

First cast is good, the streamer drifts downstream while I'm making short fast strips...Strike and a miss, that sends the streamer up in the tree. Ok my fault, quit striking and just lift the rod next time. Strike, lift the rod and fish on...fish throws streamer and that's 2 in the tree. Ok, keep the rod parallel with the water while fighting fish. Strike, pull rod to the left hold parallel to the water and strip like mad to keep tension, fish dives right in front of boat, slips hook, streamer lands in the tree.

Ended up netting 3 fish from that spot but at a cost of 3 streamers. Next week I will report on how to use a chainsaw while sitting in a kayak!

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Default Re: Tree Slinging

Good story! Way to keep at it! Any pics or will that be the following week's instructions on How to Take Pictures in a Kayak Without Tipping It Over? lol
    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)

Blog Entries

Gotta love it, the best spots always have their guardians
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

good stuff, having a 14ft 24inch wide day touring kayak I know how tippy gets, I havent tried fishing with it yet.. those big tub kayaks might be my next 'want' item. I had a similer issue today on the creek, I want wading and came into a section full of debris and behold a deep pool on the other side of a mangled tree.. soo.. I had to try it and yep on the first missed strike I nail the tree with the popper haha.. oh well.
    mike

Sounds like a good approach to reaching some nice holes.

Blog Entries

Dave, great story and loved the way you are using the kayak to fish out of!

Larry
    Larry

Blog Entries

Great story Ltd....don't cut that tree...it's the fish's home

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    Gotta love it, the best spots always have their guardians
    Always! When I take my wife fishing, she always marvels at how accurately I can place a bait with my spinning gear (I'm less skilled with a fly, but getting much better) she asked me one time, how I got that good, and I told her that I have to be that good with Mepp's Spinners at $4 a piece!

Blog Entries

That is absolutely right. Lures are too expensive nowadays to NOT be accurate!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

With my circumstance, I can report the fish were deadly accurate that day.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast