Leaders, tippets, and flies

smog7

Reaction score
I am slowly starting to get the hang of fly fishing. The one thing I have been wondering about is fly size in relation to leader and tippet size.

I have a 9 foot 6 weight rod set up.

I am currently using an 8" piece of 30 lbs mono tied to a 5 foot 4-6x furled leader with a two foot section of 5x tippet.

How many leader sizes can I use with my 6 weight floating fly line? One size smaller and one larger?

Also, to use larger flies in the 6-8 range can I simply tie on a larger sized tipped to my 4-6x furled leader?

In the past I had tried fishing a size 6 marabou muddler using the same 6 weight set up with a tapered 5x leader and I could not cast the damn thing.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
A six weight can be considered a general purpose fly rod like a five weight. Because of its versatility, it can be used for a variety of presentations (dry, nymph, streamer). Even though lighter rods will present smaller flies on fine tippets cleaner, a six weight still can be used for this presentation.

How many leader sizes can I use with my 6 weight floating fly line? One size smaller and one larger?
Your leader sizes can vary depending on your fly selection. I use short leaders from five feet all the way to twelve plus feet. My tippets range from 0x to 6x.

Also, to use larger flies in the 6-8 range can I simply tie on a larger sized tipped to my 4-6x furled leader?
Here is my guess.

Your furled leader is designed to turn over flies that would normally work well with 4x to 6x tippets. It may not be heavy enough to turn over larger flies.

So for larger flies, either change to a heavier furled leader or go to a short tapered leader. You can use the correct tippet in this case.

Dennis

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Smog,
Tippet size is determined by fly size; divide the size of the fly by 4 and you will get the approximate tippet size. A size 12 fly divided by 4 gives you 3; your tippet should then be 3x.
Dan

wjc

Reaction score
And if that seems like too much tippet for clear still water; divide the hook size by 3 instead of 4.

smog7

Reaction score
thanks for the help everyone.

Mosca, when I asked about leader size I was in fact referring to "3x, 4x..." and not length.

I guess what I am asking is if I can use a 4x or an 8x leader on my 6 weight fly rod without casting problems.

Last edited:

smog7

Reaction score
thanks for the info. I guess I'll need to pick up some larger leader sizes.

how often do you guys change leaders?

I guess I'm a little mixed up...

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I'm guessing that most of you already have fly lines tied with specific sized leaders for certain fishing situations.

Would it be wise to purchase a second fly line and tie on a 3x or so leader for larger sized flies instead of cutting and retying leaders on my one fly line?

Last edited:

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
how often do you guys change leaders?
I can change a leader during the same day or after several days of fishing. It depends on how beat up my leaders get.

I'm guessing that most of you already have fly lines tied with specific sized leaders for certain fishing situations.

Would it be wise to purchase a second fly line and tie on a 3x or so leader for larger sized flies instead of cutting and retying leaders on my one fly line?
There are ways to change a leader without having to retie a new one on. Most quality floating lines have butt sections on them. Most prepackaged leaders have knotted loops on them. Simply do a loop to loop connection between them. If your fly line does not have a welded loop on it, you can tie a short section of heavy leader material (about 20 to 30 pound test) to your fly line. Tie a Perfection Loop to the end of that piece, and do a loop to loop connection to the leader. That short piece of leader material is called a butt section.

You can also put a braided loop on the end of your fly line. That can work as a connector for leader to fly line.

Dennis

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but if you're a rank beginner, you should stay away from tippet as light as 7x & 8x.
Not only do you not have the experience to land a fish on that light of line, but at least 90% of the time that light of a tippet is not necessary.
You'll do fine using only 4x,5x, and 6x, and you can to all that with the same leader, same line, same rod.

smog7

Reaction score
thanks for the information and tips.

I think I will stick with 4x, 5x, & 6x leaders. I just need to start using loop to loop connections for easy switches.