Does ORVIS usually have any decent off-season sales?

brobar

Reaction score
I've saved up enough for the package I want to get (I think I'm going to go with their Clearwater II combo which includes the Clearwater II rod, a Battenkill Bar Stock III reel, backing, line and case). I've got my first flyfishing lesson here in a few weeks and am waiting to get my gear until after the lesson (since they provide everything you need at the lesson). I was just wondering if a little later in the year if Orvis usually has decent off-season sales on rods and reels. If so... are the savings worth holding off a little while to take advantage of them (I only see myself getting out there just a couple of times this season) or should I go ahead and get the gear after my class so I can start practicing right away?

Thanks,

-brobar

Reaction score
If you shop around on the internet, you can usually find a good deal on those outfits.
I was looking at getting one a few months ago and searched on ebay. One seller had them new for about $280 depending on size and wt of rod.
Definitely shop around. If thats the rod you want, you can get it cheaper than in a orvis store.
Alternatively, you can check the orvis outlets if there are any near you that stock fishing gear....the link an be found on the orivs store website.

BUT, there are tons of other outfits out there that are as good if not better than the clearwater. Check Yellowstone angler for gear reviews on recent rods/outfits.
Sometimes buying the components separately you can get a better deal.
I'm sure others will chip in more info than i've provided, but dont jump straight into the Orvis outfit until you see what else is available.

Noiso

Reaction score
I have a Battenkill Barstock III and a II and they work great. A google search showed the Bass Pro shop as having a good price. You can get as good quality for a lessor price, but the resale on Orvis stuff might be better. If you can spare the cash go for it. My first reel was by Okuma and it worked great!

Sometimes Orvis sends out a $25 off coupon (with a purchase of $50 or more) that is quite a deal - I've used it to by flies and accessories only.

brobar

Reaction score
If I can find some other outfits out there where the manufacturer will guarantee the rods for 25 year (no questions asked) then I'll definitely entertain them. I'm more than sure I could get in to this thing a lot cheaper than starting with Orvis but I've also learned with many things in the past that sometimes you get what you pay for. Since I'm just starting out... I could see myself doing something stupid and breaking a rod or two or three. With a 25-year no questions asked guarantee I wouldn't feel as bad if I ended up doing something stupid and damaged my rod.

Unfortunately I don't think Orvis will give the 25-year guarantee to EBAY auctions unless the entity auctioning the item is an authorized Orvis dealer. But if I can find an authorized Orvis dealer that has a decent sale on their gear then that wouldn't be too bad.

I'm sure there are more affordable and even better equipment out there. But having talked to many people who have had to take advantage of Orvis' 25-year guarantee and their customer service... I'm willing to pay a little bit more for peace of mind.

Can you guys recommend some other dealers out there that have comparable warranties and customer service? I'll definitely look at them too!

Noiso

Reaction score
Orvis made good with me on the guarantee - I snapped my 3w trout bum by falling on it in the river. I brought it to the Orvis store and they shipped it out and gave me a (nice) loaner for my next trip. There was a small charge.
Other rod companies have similar guarantees however.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think Orvis will give the 25-year guarantee to EBAY auctions unless the entity auctioning the item is an authorized Orvis dealer
I looked up the seller from ebay and found they were an authorized seller. I wasnt going to buy it through ebay, that was just an avenue to find a deal.

brobar

Reaction score
I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." That turned me off seeing as I have talked to people who have (like mentioned above) simply stepped on their rod snapping it in two or another friend who accidentally closed his truck door on his rod breaking it and Orvis replaced them both even knowing that it was completely user error that caused the breakage. THAT is the kind of peace of mind I'm looking for. So if you guys know other manufacturers who offer the same type of CS and warranty then let me know... I'm not stuck on Orvis... they are just the first ones I've come across where the warranty and customer service definitely warrants the price.

But I've only been researching for the past 2 or 3 weeks so I figured you fine men & women would be able to offer some sound advice. =)

gt05254

Reaction score
You will not go wrong buying an Orvis outfit. I've had Orvis rods for more than 35 years. Have broken a few, always replaced no questions asked. Its a solid company with a solid product. I think you have a sound buying strategy in place to get started in fly fishing.
Gary

Joni

Reaction score
I worked for Orvis for a few years, they do have off season sales, but not so much on Fly Rods, specially the Clearwater, as it has been in the line up for quite a while as their lower priced offering,
They run the sales often on the upper end rods, specially when introducing a new line up. Example, I bought a T3 brand new and one of the first out of the gate, retailing at over $600.
Later they came out with the Zero and in turn, put less expensive hardware on the T3 and dropped the price almost in half.
So, off season is a good time to get last years top of the line.

Then they do make some Christmas deals and other deals like buy a reel and get a spool or line for free.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Is there an Orvis dealer near you? The sales usually happen in March and sometimes the price cuts can run deep, up to 40% off depending on the dealership. I have many a rod and reel that were purchased in March.

Vans

Reaction score
I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." That turned me off seeing as I have talked to people who have (like mentioned above) simply stepped on their rod snapping it in two or another friend who accidentally closed his truck door on his rod breaking it and Orvis replaced them both even knowing that it was completely user error that caused the breakage.

Sage will repair such accidents free of charge.

fishiowa

Reaction score
I was originally looking in to Sage since they tout a "lifetime warranty" but upon inspecting the verbiage of that warranty it mentions it "does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product." =)
What this language means is they are limiting their damage to the repair/replacement of the rod. An example of what is not covered would be if your Sage rod broke on the first day of a week long trip and you had no backup. They would not reimburse the cost of your fishing trip.

Rich

brobar

Reaction score
Well that is good to know about Sage. I must have misinterpreted their warranty. So are they a no questions ask warranty... meaning they'll fix or replace the rod even if I step on it and break it? I'm a klutz and want that insurance / peace of mind.

If so... then maybe I should start inquiring about some Sage packages vs Orvis packages.

It looks like Sage's fee to repair is $50 where Orvis' fee to repair is $30. What else can you guys tell me regarding Sage vs Orvis? Quality? Customer Service? Value?

gt05254

Reaction score
You probably can't go wrong with either one. The important thing is to cast each and decide which you like casting the best. I can't imagine buying a rod I hate to cast just because it has warranty x, y, or z.
Gary

Joni

Reaction score
Funny that a trip was mentioned. I do have a rod in to Orvis for a repair, that I admit, I did.
I got a card in the mail saying they no longer stock this rod..(The Zero and I loved that rod), so.... they are replacing it with the same weight, length and flex but a Helios. Okay, that is way cool, about $100. difference.
But, due to the popularity of this particular rod, I will not receive it till October. There are non in any of their stores to be had.
Now the cool part. I called the number on the card to ask why so long. They explained and put me on hold while they looked for to see who might have one. When he came back to the phone I just mentioned that I have my week long trip on the Continental Divide coming up for the last of Sept. and it really would have been nice to take the new kid.
He then offered to put me to one of the shops that would send me a loner if I wanted. Cost of shipping of course, but I am betting just return shipping. I am covered, but I thought that was way above and beyond on all accounts. Orvis still rocks in my book.