What is the best small boat for fly-fishing?

EastTexas

Reaction score
What is the best small boat for fly-fishing? I’ve had a 2 man touring kayak in the past. I don’t like the inflatable boats… too many gators in East Texas!

I have thought about a canoe or an 8’ jon-boat that will fit in the back of my ford ranger. I will have 4 rods & reels with me. Standing up would be a bonus. The only problem is with the jon-boat; I have not seen a short one for a long time…

Attachments

Curtis

Reaction score
With the gators and I would assume water moccasins, I would probably want something that would keep my feet completely out of reach and the possibility of a snake deciding I was a resting spot out of the question. I would personally think just a johnboat or Skiff would do the trick.

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
I have a 10' Water Spider, not made any more, but it is very much like the Bass Buster boats that Bass Pro Shops sells. I have a deck on the front and deck on the back and have comfortably fished two fly fishers many times. It is powered by two trolling motors, one on the front and one on the rear. I have fished in every lake in East Texas in the past six years that I've had this boat and I have never had any concerns about it sinking. It is a wide boat and very stable. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.texasflyreport.com/forums/photo.asp?photoid=144&asortType=6&apage=1

DAVY WOTTON

Reaction score
This is my choice for a small boat of a canoe type.
It is called A Gheenee.
This canoe type boat will carry something like a 800lb pay load, can be fitted out with a outboard up to 25hp, l use a 6 for the small creeks and a 10 or a 15 for the lakes and larger rivers. You can of course use trolling motors also. It will easily accomodate 2 persons standing up fishing, is very stable indeed due to the width, unlike a regular canoe. I would say the boat weight is around 80lb, you can trailer it, or it goes on the back of my Dodge Ram no problem.
I use this for both fishing and hunting trips, and it can of course be taken more or less any place without too much trouble.
They are manufactured in Tittisville Fl, not sure of the cost now days, but you can find that out on the web site that they have. They produce a number of versions of this craft.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Davy

donk

Reaction score
The lowly canoe carries 700# of gear; most weigh in under 60#, paddle backwards with a kayak paddle for level ride; high freeboard from gators; low stable draft; minor wind resistance and very comfortable sitting position.:biggrin: