Fly Gear and Conventional Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Who continues to use conventional gear? I do. When I fish with the girlfriend and her son, I'll dunk crickets with UL spin gear. I like to see the catfish rods bend deeply while sitting in their rod holders.

Cheers,

Robert

bruce m

Reaction score
I also carry an ultra-light along with my fly gear inside my truck box. There is a very little brook I like to stop at that is just about impossible to fish with fly. I caught a nice 16" brown in there two weeks ago, he still lives there, I't was a lot of fun on that rod in the little brook.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I don't regularly fish with conventional gear, but I have a seven foot spin rod that I take with me striper fishing or saltwater fishing.

When the river is high and the fish are beyond fly casting distance, I like to fish a tandem rig on my spin rod. I will fish a plug or popper and a fly together. The treble hooks are removed from the lure. The belly treble is replaced with a single hook that I pinch the barb down. The back treble is replaced with a three foot tippet that is connected to a fly (usually a Clouser Minnow).

My spin rod goes with me on some of my saltwater trips. I figure if I fly thousands of miles to a destination, I want to hook up with fish. Sometimes the fish won't look at a fly, so it is good to use the spin rod as insurance.

Dennis

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I definitely still use a spinning set-up, but more than likely that's because my fly set-up hasn't arrived yet. When I have a choice, I choose fly, even when it seems the spin casters are catching more, and even though I'm a total novice. However, I'll probably keep going with a spinning reel for a tarpon until I square away a tarpon set-up.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I'm about 75/25 fly, conventional. I still get the urge to liveline a fat bunker, or chase Fluke from the kayak. Largemouth lakes that aren't wader friendly will also see my baitcaster make an appearance.

Tracker12

Reaction score
I use what ever gear is called for the day whether it is fly, conventional tackle, archery, shotgun, rifle or Muzzy. Got to adapt. That being said I plan more fly fishing trips than most others.

Vans

Reaction score
About the time i got into fly fishing i had just upgraded all my fishing gear. New tackle boxes and tackle. I also have a standard spinning rod, ultra light rod and a baitcaster. Plus, i still have my old steelhead baitcasting rod from my time tossing eggs and sand shrimp.

Then i got into fly fishing obsessively and that stuff mainly sits in its cases. I try to fly fish in all circumstances if able.

milt spawn

Reaction score
"Don't you blaspheme in here! Don't you blaspheme!" (Aretha Franklin- as Mrs. Murphy, The Blues Brothers, 1980.) milt.

russellb

Reaction score
Who really cares?
This is a fly fishing forum.
That seems like an overly harsh response. My guess is many people seek some form of fellowship in this "fly" fishing forum and for most the jump to the fly rod is both new and a door opener to the undiscovered country. I for one, think it is a common and straightforward question or conversation starter.

I started fly fishing about 25 years ago after many years of spin and bait casting fishing. For twenty years I have only owned fly rods but when I fish with my father I can still cast a bait casting rod with the best of them.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
That was funny.
Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I caught this Bass on a jig with a baitcaster.
Tie 12 black stone flies and 6 olive wooley buggers and all is forgiven...

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

I don't regularly fish with conventional gear, but I have a seven foot spin rod that I take with me striper fishing or saltwater fishing.

When the river is high and the fish are beyond fly casting distance, I like to fish a tandem rig on my spin rod. I will fish a plug or popper and a fly together. The treble hooks are removed from the lure. The belly treble is replaced with a single hook that I pinch the barb down. The back treble is replaced with a three foot tippet that is connected to a fly (usually a Clouser Minnow).

My spin rod goes with me on some of my saltwater trips. I figure if I fly thousands of miles to a destination, I want to hook up with fish. Sometimes the fish won't look at a fly, so it is good to use the spin rod as insurance.

Dennis
:thmbup:

I fish Albies this way as well. A plug with the hooks removed, 2-3ft of floro and an Albie fly. Deadly combination.

mrfzx

Reaction score
I'm still rtrying to line up a guide that will help me catch a Halibut on a flyrod. Until I do, I'll have to drag bait or jig....Halibut steaks are just too good to forgo.

wjc

Reaction score
The last time I threw anything but flies in fresh water was when I was 15. I do have a fairly extensive array of salt water conventional gear - most of which is used to drag teasers to get pellagics up to thow flies at, or kept on hand for friends who don't fly fish.

As Mojo said, this is a fly fishing forum, and there are not that many fish that cannot be caught on fly with persistence and some ingenuity - even in the ocean.

Cheers,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.