Light WT Rod?

ozarkadver

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a light wt rod, for small pan fish to use on open water and on tight small creeks. What wt, length, and brand would you all recommend? Thanks Ben.

caseywise

Reaction score
i would say a medium fast 8 or 8 1/2 4 weight would suffice.
as far as a brand.......try the redington ct series.
only heard great things:)

casey

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Hi Ozark,

Bass Pro Shops sells a line of UL flyrods...UL Classic series. They have the all cork reel seat with sliding reel bands...from 5' in 3wt to the 7' in 5wt. All are 3pc and come with a sock and rod tube. I have the 5'8" in 4wt. Mine weighs 1.5 oz...used a digital kitchen scale to weigh it. They run about $120.

Cabelas also sells UL flyrods...the TQR (tight quarters rod) series. Cork reel seats. They run about $120.

I'm thinking about a longer 4wt...the 6'9" model from BPS would be a great rod that won't wear you out! These rods are very light!

Cork reel seats and sliding reel bands make for a very light rod!

I put cork sealer on my UL to keep the cork in great shape.

Cheers,

Robert

possumpoint

Reaction score
I use Shakespeare 7'-6", 4 wt rods. They're great for small stream fishing. For really small pan fish, a 3 wt of length you'd happy with, would be better in my opinion. Since cheap is my middle name, I can't help you with the high price rods your price range allows.:eek:

cpiercem

Reaction score
I really like the Cabela's Three Forks 7.5 ft 3 wt rod for small streams. It is very inexpensive, but it has really performed well for me. It casts easily and accurately for short distances. It also handles some larger fish quite well. It's short length makes it easy to maneuver in tight situations. It is a really fun rod to catch small fish on, and it is cheap enough that I am not in a total panic when I trip in the bushes along some small streams. And yes the small brushy streams do beat me up a bit! But ya gotta love um!

http://www.cabelas.com/...BSearch-All+Products

Vans

Reaction score
I have a Bass Pro Shops Hobbs Creek 3wt i use for small trout streams and rivers. It is also my rod of choice when i am in panfish water. It is certainly no Sage, but for the price it is a decent enough set up.

ozarkadver

Reaction score
Do you think a 3wt would be light enough for really small bream/perch? There about as big as a index card. Don't know much about lighter rods, all I know is that my 5wt is a lot of over kill and just drags them in. I want a good fight.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Do you think a 3wt would be light enough for really small bream/perch? There about as big as a index card. Don't know much about lighter rods, all I know is that my 5wt is a lot of over kill and just drags them in. I want a good fight.
I don't know what they are like on anything lighter than a 3wt, because that is the lightest I have. I catch 5-6 inch bluegills and they put more of a fight on than a 10-12 inch stocker trout. I love panfish. They are scrappers extraordinaire! I like the 3wt for them, but like I said I can't compare with a lighter rod. I am sure a 0-2wt would be even more fun.

wishiniwerfishin

Reaction score
I'd go with a St. Croix Imperial 863.4, it's a 8'6" 3wt, they also have a 7' and 6'6" 3wt. I dont have that particular rod but I do have the 864.4 and its a fun little rod to catch bluegill and small bass on. If you want lighter than a 3 they have a 6' 2wt in the Imerial line also. The Imerials are great rods for the price, and have a lifetime warranty.

cpiercem

Reaction score
I'd go with a St. Croix Imperial 863.4, it's a 8'6" 3wt, they also have a 7' and 6'6" 3wt. I dont have that particular rod but I do have the 864.4 and its a fun little rod to catch bluegill and small bass on. If you want lighter than a 3 they have a 6' 2wt in the Imerial line also. The Imerials are great rods for the price, and have a lifetime warranty.
I too have an Imperial 4wt. It is a nice rod, so I am pretty sure a 2wt Imperial would be great. I would recommend them too. Love that lifetime warranty.

ncflyboy

Reaction score
Ozark,

If you want a good fight, I suggest foregoing the creek and seeking larger prey...6"+ bluegills and the like.

Cheers,

Robert

Jackster

Reaction score
Just get yourself an Eagle Claw Featherlight and have a blast!
Neat and sturdy little rods that cost so little you can buy the complete Featherlight fly rod series and still have enough left over to buy me a dinner and a 6 pack! ;)

Featherlight | Eagle Claw

caseywise

Reaction score
Just get yourself an Eagle Claw Featherlight and have a blast!
Neat and sturdy little rods that cost so little you can buy the complete Featherlight fly rod series and still have enough left over to buy me a dinner and a 6 pack! ;)

Featherlight | Eagle Claw
thats a fun little rod for sure!
i got one a while back and love it.:D:D
here was a nice little bass i caught on it earlier this summer.

fun for sure!

casey